How to Craft a Paper Flower Ball for Valentine’s Day in 5 Easy Steps
A DIY paper flower ball is a creative craft project that brights up any space with a makeshift flowerpot without breaking the bank. Read on to discover how to craft a paper flower ball in five easy steps.
A DIY paper flower ball is a handcrafted decoration consisting of a polystyrene sphere covered with paper flowers and inserted into a pot to resemble an authentic flower pot. It adds a twist to classic paper flower crafts by using more elements to create a unique home decoration. A paper flower ball is small enough to fit windowsills, shelves, office desks, and mantels.
Making a paper flower ball has many benefits. Firstly, parents or educators can introduce children to a simple papercraft project to develop fine motor skills, follow patterns, and encourage out-of-the-box thinking. Secondly, adults can engage in a fun activity that helps them relax and boosts self-confidence. Thirdly, a flower ball made from paper is a beautiful piece of home decor. Finally, it’s a great party favor, keepsake, or thoughtful gift for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, housewarming, teacher appreciation day, first-year wedding anniversary (paper), and other special events.
This guide describes the supplies and step-by-step instructions for making a paper flower ball. It contains images, a video guide, and more tips and tricks to improve your design. The project shouldn’t take more than 30 minutes, making it an excellent last-minute Valentine’s Day gift.
- Small terracotta pot
- Polystyrene sphere that fits the pot
- Flower punch
- Colored paper. We used light pink, turquoise, and purple
- Pearl headpins
- A wooden dowel
- Silk ribbon. We used purple and beige
- Glue stick
- Dry foam
How do I craft a paper flower ball?
Follow these step-by-step instructions to make potted paper flowers:
- Make the paper flowers: Use the flower punch to create about 20 pink, blue, and purple paper flowers.
- Assemble the flower ball: Use the pearl head pins to attach the paper flowers to the polystyrene sphere, mixing the colors and distributing them as equally as possible. Overlap the flowers a bit to hide the white parts of the sphere. Additionally, be sure to leave a small area uncovered by flowers.
- Add the stem: Insert the wooden dowel in the uncovered area. Then, cut beige silk ribbon and tie it up in a bow around the wooden dowel right beneath the flower ball.
- Prepare the flower pot: Glue purple silk ribbon around the rim of the pot. Next, place the pot upside down on pink paper, draw a circle, cut it out of paper, and make a hole in the middle of the circle using opened scissors.
- Place the ball inside the pot: Cut dry foam into small pieces and use them to fill the pot as best as you can. Next, add glue to the pink paper disk and attach it to the pot, over the dry foam. Finally, carefully insert the wooden dowel with the flower ball through the paper hole and anchor it into the dry doam underneath by pushing straight down as much as possible. Your DIY paper flower ball is now ready!
Watch this video guide to better understand the process behind making a flower ball from paper:
More tips and tricks
Check out the following tips and tricks for improving or changing your DIY flower ball made from paper:
- Monochromatic color scheme: Use a single color to create a bold, dramatic look, which means painting the wooden dowel and terracota pot. For example, use various shades of pink to create Valentine’s Day decor.
- Make a table centerpiece: Create several paper flower pots to make a bundle and use it as a table centerpiece for special occasions.
- Scale up the design: Our DIY project creates a small decoration, but feel free to use a bigger terracotta pot, polystyrene ball, and wooden dowel to produce a larger design. Use numerous tiny paper flowers or design big 3D paper flowers to add texture and interest.
To summarize, DIY paper flower balls are an excellent way to add a special touch to your home decor and create beautiful gifts. With the right supplies and by following the steps outlined in this article, anyone can create a paper flower ball in no time.