How to make Rice Krispie treats – the kids love making this almost as much as they love eating them! There’s something so fun about melting marshmallows. Those squidgy bites of sweetness transformed into gooey, molten mouthfuls.
Mixed together with some butter for richness and a whole load of rice krispies, you’ve got an easy treat in no time.
Usually I stop at that point, but this time I went a couple of steps further by topping with more marshmallow (marshmallow fluff, but you could use lightly toasted marshmallows if you prefer), melted chocolate and crushed up crackers.
And I can confirm that doing this earns you the title of the best mummy (or daddy/auntie etc) in the world.)
A fun treat to make with the kids as a change from those (equally yummy) chocolate crispy cakes.
Here’s what ingredients you’ll need for delicious Rice Krispie Smore Treats:
- 16oz marshmallows (big or small)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 7 cups Rice Krispies or similar puffed rice cereal
- 1 cup marshmallow fluff
- 7oz semi-sweet chocolate, broken into chunks
- 2 graham crackers, crushed
Step by step preparation guide:
- Line (with non-stick baking parchment) and heavily grease (with spray oil or softened butter) a 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Place the marshmallows, butter and vanilla in a large pan. Heat on a medium heat, stirring often until the marshmallows have melted. It’s ok if there are a few lumps in there. This should take around 5-6 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the rice krispies to the pan. Working quickly, stir in with a wooden spoon, until all of the rice krispies are coated. Take care if children are helping with this step, as the melted marshmallows are very hot.
- Transfer the mixture to the baking dish and flatten out. You might find it easier to oil your hands (so the marshmallow won’t stick) and flatten the mixture with your hands. Be careful though, as the mixture may still be hot. Place the mixture in the refrigerator to set for 2-3 hours. Just before the mixture comes out of the refrigerator, melt the chocolate. I melt my chocolate in 30 second bursts in the microwave, stirring in between each burst until melted. You can melt over a bain marie if you prefer.
- Once the mixture has set, remove from the dish and peel off the paper. Cut into 12 pieces. Top each piece with a tablespoon of marshmallow fluff, followed by a tablespoon of melted chocolate. Sprinkle with a pinch of graham cracker crumbs. Serve straight away.
Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature, but the chocolate will set (still tastes yummy!!).