Juicy buttermilk chicken recipe tenders with a delicious crispy coating – serve with this sweet honey mustard dip for a seriously addicting treat! Crispy fried chicken – a treat that few find easy to resist. I’m definitely one of those people. I actually worked in a fried chicken shop for 5 years – through school and college, and I’d love to tell you that I have their super-secret recipe – but unfortunately the coating arrived already made up.
However, those five years did refine my fried chicken taste buds, and I actually prefer this homemade recipe!
The chicken in marinaded in buttermilk first – to ensure a beautifully moist and tender result. The coating is a simple dry mixture of a few store cupboard ingredients. No need for a wet batter to get the perfect crunch.
Unless you have a huge fryer, you’ll probably need to cook these tenders in batches. The oil bubbles up a quite a bit, so be extra careful.
The cooked chicken can be kept uncovered in a low oven whilst you’re cooking the rest.
Serve with fries and/or a lovely big salad. Make plenty though – these things will go fast!!
Here’s what ingredients you’ll need for the buttermilk chicken recipe:
- 4 chicken breasts, sliced into long, thick strips
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
Ingredients for Crispy Coating:
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- ½ tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp baking powder
Ingredients for Honey Mustard Mayo:
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Plenty of vegetable oil for deep frying
Step by step preparation guide:
- Place the chicken in a bowl or large ziplock bag. Add the buttermilk, salt, pepper and garlic salt. Mix together, cover (if in a bowl) and place in the refrigerator to marinade for 3-6 hours.
- Preheat the oven to a low heat (to keep cooked tenders warm). Heat a large pan of vegetable oil (or preheat your deep fat fryer) until hot (you can test by dropping a small cube of bread in there, if it rises immediately to the top and starts to bubble rapidly, it’s hot enough). You’ll need at least 4 cups of oil.Mix together the crispy coating ingredients in a small bowl. Take the chicken out of the refrigerator and dredge each piece through the crispy coating mixture – ensuring it’s fully covered. Place on a tray in a single layer ready for frying.
- Once the oil is hot enough, add in 4 or 5 of the chicken tenders. You can add more or less depending on the size of your pan, just be sure not to overcrowd the chicken. Cook for 3-5 minutes until golden brown and cooked in the center. You can check this by cutting open a piece of chicken, if it’s no longer pink in the middle, it’s cooked. Place on a tray in the oven to keep warm whilst you cook the rest of the chicken.
- Whilst the chicken is cooking, make the honey mustard mayo by mixing all of the honey mustard mayo ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Serve the cooked chicken with the honey mustard mayo.