This vegetarian paella recipe is a gourmet one pot meal! With a few tips, this traditional Spanish dish can be made fast enough for a weeknight dinner. Paella is a one pot rice dish that originates in Spain. It features fragrant spiced rice, tender-crisp veggies, and usually seafood and chicken. Today we are nixing the protein, adding in some products and making this one delicious veggie-packed meal.
Roasted red peppers add a sweet depth of flavor, artichokes add big flavor and have a “meaty”, texture, and peas and green beans keep things fresh.
If you would like to keep in the protein, feel free to add in some cooked shrimp, chicken, or your protein of choice.
And with all the plant based ingredients in this Vegetable Paella, we get a hefty dose of nutrition.
When choosing rice for this recipe, pick up brown rice. Short grain rice is the most traditional for this recipe, but any type of brown rice, long or short, will bring in extra nutrition than its white counterpart. Brown rice contains minerals that the body needs to regulate metabolism. Brown rice can also help to manage a healthy weight and lower cholesterol.
Artichokes have the power to benefit almost every system in our bodies. They are good for the digestive system, cardiovascular system, our liver, bones, and metabolism. Artichokes can also reduce the risk of cancer, help the body detox, and aid in weight loss. Is there anything this veggie can’t do?!
Traditionally, Paella can take some time and effort, but we have a few tips for making this a quick weeknight meal.
First, cook your rice ahead of time. I like to make a big batch of brown rice for the week and add it to a variety of meals. I will use the pre-cooked rice to make this Paella and it cuts the cooking time in half.
Second, cook it all in one pot. The beauty of this Paella is minimal cleanup. Everything can be cooked and served in one large pot. No juggling bowls. No shuffling pans. Just one pot for cooking and one pot to clean.
Last, but as many of the ingredients ready to go as possible. I buy my roasted red peppers, artichokes, and olives from the store in there ready to go state. You can pick up your onions already chopped, and if you forgot to cook your brown rice, chances are your local grocery store will have some pre-cooked on hand.
Ingredients for vegetarian paella recipe:
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil OR olive oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup minced parsley
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 jar roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 jar marinated artichoke hearts, quartered
- 1 cup olives
- 1 cup fresh peas, or thawed frozen
- 2 cups chopped green beans
Directions to make a delicious vegetarian paella:
- If cooking the rice from scratch, cook 2 cups according to package directions. Once cooked, remove from the heat and cover with a kitchen towel.
- In a very large skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add in the onions, salt and red pepper flakes. Sauté until the onions are translucent. Add in the garlic and parsley. Sauté for another minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes and sauté until the tomato water has reduced and the tomatoes have darkened in color.
- Add in the mushrooms and cook until softened stir in the rice and red peppers. Sauté until warmed through.
- Add in the vegetable broth, artichoke hearts, and olives. Cover and cook until warmed through. Uncover and cook until most of the broth has evaporated. Add in the peas and green beans. Cover and cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes. Serve.
With these simple steps, extravagent Vegetable Paella becomes an easy one pot meal that is quick enough for a weeknight. This nutrient packed meal will have your family asking for seconds!