How to Craft Twig Hollow Heart Wall Art for Valentine’s Day in 6 Easy Steps
Twig hollow heart wall art is an excellent crafting project that brings a touch of folksy appeal and romance into your home. Read on to discover how to make twig hollow heart wall art in six easy steps.
Twig hollow heart wall art is handcrafted artwork that showcases an empty heart made from twigs. It’s a lovely way of making natural home decor with a romantic motif. Since the heart is hollow, it goes well with an anti-Valentine’s Day party. Additionally, twig hollow heart artwork is a cute gift for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, 5-year wedding anniversaries (wood), birthdays, and other special occasions.
This easy wood craft is suitable for adults and kids old enough to safely handle scissors and a hot glue gun. For example, children can look for branches in their backyard, a park, or another natural setting.
This tutorial describes the supplies and step-by-step instructions for creating twig hollow heart wall art. It includes images, a video guide, and more tips and tricks to improve your design. It takes about an hour to complete once you gather the necessary tools and materials, making it an excellent last-minute gift for romantic events.
- Thick or corrugated cardboard
- X-ACTO knife (not illustrated)
- Twigs as straight as possible
- Box cutter or garden shears
- Hot glue gun
- Silk ribbon
- Jute or burlap ribbon
- Colored crepe paper. We used a dark shade of red
- White pom-poms
- Artificial leaves
How do I craft twig hollow heart wall art?
Follow these step-by-step instructions to create twig hollow heart wall art:
- Make a cardboard heart: Create a heart template on cardboard and a smaller one inside, leaving about 1 in (2.5 cm) space between the two hearts. Trace the pencil contour and cut out the hollow heart using the X-ACTO knife.
- Decorate the hollow heart with twigs: Place a twig against the cardboard heart frame to make a reference measurement; the twig should be slightly larger than the heart to cover the cardboard margins. Next, cut all twigs the same size to fit the heart using the box cutter or garden shears. Then glue the twigs in a vertical or horizontal pattern, ensuring they’re tightly packed against each other.
- Create a hanger: Cut a piece of silk ribbon to the desired length; the longer the ribbon, the lower the wall piece will hang. Glue both ends of the ribbon to the back of the heart frame.
- Make a bow: Cut burlap or jute ribbon and make a bow, using a bit of silk ribbon to finish the bow’s knot. Cut away any excess ribbon from the bow’s tails.
- Make the floral piece: Sketch five leaves on crepe paper and cut them out. Next, glue five white pom-poms together in a pentagonal pattern and stick the crepe leaves to the back of the pom-poms.
- Finish the wall decoration: Glue the burlap bow to the top-right part of the twig heart. Finally, glue two artificial leaves to the bottom-left part of the heart and place the pom-pom flower on top. Your twig hollow heart wall art is now complete!
Check out this video guide that better illustrates the process behind making twig hollow heart wall art:
More tips and tricks
Check out the following tips and tricks for improving or changing your twig hollow heart wall art:
- Use popsicle sticks: Instead of chopped twigs to decorate the cardboard heart, use popsicle sticks; they fit together easier than twigs.
- Add more embellishments: Use other more rustic decorations, such as small pinecones, tiny twigs, and dried leaves.
- Use a different frame: Cardboard is flimsy, so consider using a wireframe or a foam board for a sturdier structure.
- Add more color: For example, use a colorful ribbon instead of regular burlap and jute, or make artificial roses or daisies instead of white and brown cotton flowers.
- Make a wreath: By making the heart frame extra-large and ditching the hanger, you can use this project to create a DIY twig heart wreath to hang on a door or wall.
Anyone can make twig hollow heart wall art with the right supplies and by following the intuitive instructions outlined in this article. It’s a beginner-friendly crafting project that will help make your home feel cozy and rustic. For more projects with a romantic motif, check out these Valentine’s Day decorations.