These Lemon Blueberry Breakfast Cookies are a grab and go breakfast that the whole family will love! This healthy recipe can be made in advance for a stress free morning.
Cookies for breakfast.
That is not a typo, friends. You might not be able to have your cake and eat it too, but when it comes to breakfast and cookies, you can have it all.
These nutritious cookies are flavored with fresh lemon and sweet blueberries, and make for the perfect healthy breakfast treat.
Picture this miracle morning: You wake up bright eyed and rested without hitting the snooze even once. The kids manage to get ready without any fights or messes. You feed the whole family a nutritious and filling breakfast, make it out the door on time, and are even 10 minutes early to work.
While I can’t promise these cookies will stop your fingers from reaching for the snooze button, or give you perfectly well behaved children, they can get a nutrition filled breakfast on the plate and simplify your morning.
Making a big batch of cookies on a Sunday and then serving them as a 2 minute breakfast on Monday-Friday, can resolve a lot of morning chaos. And if your kids are normally picky about eating breakfast, can they resist a cookie? Can you resist a cookie? Case closed.
And while these cookies are making mornings easier, they are also making them healthier.
The blueberries in these cookies are a tiny blue orb of nutrition. While being low in calories, these berries are certainly not low in health promoting compounds. Blueberries can boost brain power, including memory. They can slow down the aging process, and even repair our DNA, keeping us safe from a host of health concerns.
Oats contain a nutrient profile unlike any other grain. They are a great source of over a dozen nutrients, and their fiber content can keep you full for hours. Oats can reduce cholesterol and help to prevent heart disease. They also balance blood sugar and keep digestion ticking along at a healthful rate.
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 2 1/2 cups quick oats (gluten free if needed)
- 1 large or 2 small bananas
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 coconut butter, melted (can sub almond butter)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with nonstick foil and coat it with nonstick spray. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the flaxseed and 1/4 cup water. Set aside to thicken.
3. In another bowl, mash the banana.
4. Stir together the mashed banana, flaxseed mixture, applesauce, coconut butter, maple syrup, lemon zest and juice.
5. In another bowl, whisk together the oats and salt.
6. Add the wet ingredients into the dry and stir to combine.
7. Add in the blueberries and gently fold to incorporate.
8. Form the dough into cookie sized rounds. Line them up on the baking tray.
9. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the edges of the cookies are browned and the center is cooked through.
Whether you are in it for the taste of fresh berries and tart lemon, the nutrients that can boost the whole families health, or the ease of a grab and go breakfast, these cookies won’t disappoint!