A DIY mason jar flower vase is an excellent gift to give your loved one since it’s both practical and personal.
While vases come in all shapes, sizes, and materials, most of them can cost quite a lot. As for the affordable ones, they’re usually very tacky or pretty much everyone has one, so they’re not that special. Making a vase yourself is more personal since you can tailor it to the person you’re giving it to. Plus, it’s way more fun than just buying one!
In this article, we’ll show you how to make a beautiful DIY flower vase. We’ll provide you with detailed instructions, illustrations, and even a video tutorial to make things easier!
Whether you want to gift it to your significant other on Valentine’s day or their birthday or just want to liven up your home with a bit of color, this project is perfect for anyone who wants to add a personal touch.
Supplies for a mason jar flower vase
To make a flower vase just like the one in the illustration above, you’ll need the following supplies:
- A mason jar:Since you’ll need to wrap the mason jar in all materials, try using mason jars that don’t have any embellishments on them.
- Red textile material:You’ll need this to make small textile rosebuds. Because of the way you need to make the roses, make sure that the material that you use is extra thin and preferably as silky as possible.
- Hemp twine:This will serve a purely decorative purpose, so go ahead and use whatever hemp twine you find more aesthetically pleasing.
- Lace ribbon:You’ll need this to wrap around the mason jar for decorative reasons. Get some wide lace to cover the entire jar’s circumference without overlapping.
- Jute burlap ribbon:This serves a similar purpose as the lace ribbon, giving your flower vase a more rustic look. Also, ensure it’s at least the same width (preferably wider) as the lace ribbon.
- A glue gun:You’ll need a reliable glue gun to stick all the other elements of the flower vase together.
- Scissors:The textile materials, twine, and ribbons will all need to be cut to length, so a sharp pair of scissors would be ideal for this job.
NOTE:If you want to get your children involved with this craft, ensure they know how to use scissors, so they don’t hurt themselves.
How do I make a simple DIY mason jar flower vase?
By following the steps listed below, you should be able to create a lovely glass flower vase in no time:
- Make the roses:Start cutting the red textile material into strips about one inch wide and four inches long. Take one strip of cloth, and start rolling it into a bundle; once you’ve completed one full rotation, take the remaining cloth and twist it. Take your glue gun and add a drop of glue right under where you twisted the material. Continue rolling, twisting, and gluing until you use up an entire strip of material.
- Wrap the jute:Take the jute material, and cut it into a strip that’s wide enough to cover the mason jar’s body. Roll the jute ribbon around the mason jar until you’ve covered it entirely, and use a glue gun to stick the ribbon to the mason jar’s glass body, then use your scissors to cut away any excess jute material.
- Wrap the lace:Cut a bit of lace ribbon, and add some glue to the mason jar’s body on top of the jute material. Roll the lace ribbon around the mason jar, so it covers the jute perfectly symmetrical way. Use the glue gun again to stick the other end of the lace strip, overlapping with the previously glued end.
- Add the roses:Add a droplet of glue on the vase’s body where you want to add a red rose, and then stick the flower before the glue has time to dry up. Continue adding the red roses so that you form a heart-shaped pattern.
- Decorate the mason jar’s screw head:Add glue to the jar mouth’s screw thread (pour about 2 or 3 inches at a time). Roll the hemp twine along the screw thread’s grooves, and add extra glue wherever extra is needed. Once you’ve managed to fill out the screw thread’s grooves, use the scissors to cut any excess twine.
How can I spice up my DIY vase’s design?
Like most other DIY projects, the only limit to how you can decorate this vase is your imagination and is your imagination. But if you need some ideas to get you started, here are a few:
- Add a bow:A simple bow can make the vase look much more elegant and easy to make. It can either be a single-loop bow or a double-loop bow.
- Add sequins or rhinestones:If you want to make the vase look a bit more glamorous, you can glue some sequins or rhinestones around the neck of the vase.
- Try different flowers:Roses are the easiest to craft since all you do is roll and twist a strip of fabric, but if you want to get creative, you can try crafting different flowers entirely.
- Replace the mason jar:If you want your DIY vase to be bigger or to have a different body shape, you can replace the mason jar with a different container. Just make sure that it’s sturdy and that you can decorate it efficiently afterward.
Other great DIY mason jar crafts
Mason jars have become a popular choice for upcycling and crafting projects in recent years. Because of that, we went ahead and wrote an entire article where we listen to some of the most creative mason jar crafts that you should try out.
However, if you don’t plan on reading through over 20 different entries, here are the most popular of the bunch:
- DIY reindeer mason jar
- DIY Halloween mason jar
- Beach-inspired mason jar
- Valentine’s Day mason jar candle holder
- Valentine’s Day macrame-wrapped mason jar
We think that this DIY mason jar flower vase is about as easy to make as it can get. Not only that, but your end product is sure to impress anyone who sees it, whether they’re into crafting or not.
If you want even more amazing crafts, go ahead and browse our website. We’ve written plenty of similar guides, and all of them come with simple steps, illustrations, and even video tutorials. Good luck crafting!