This baked donuts recipe with pumpkin and chai spice glaze is a healthier donut dessert that can easily be made at home! Get ready to welcome Fall back into your life with these baked pumpkin donuts coated in chai spice glaze.
These sweet cake donuts are oozing pumpkin flavor. Once they are baked, they get coated in a chai spice infused glaze and then dusted with crunchy brown sugar for the ultimate bite. Cozying up with a mug of steaming coffee and one of these baked pumpkin donuts might be the perfect way to kick off Fall, and your morning.
Not only do these baked pumpkin donuts taste like a slice of heaven, they also provide some great impressive benefits:
Chai tea is chock full of health-promoting ingredients. Black tea lowers stress hormones, may reduce the risk of a stroke, and is even beneficial for our oral health. Ginger can soothe digestion. Cloves fight inflammation, and cardamom can help prevent blood clots.
Pumpkin adds a warm fall flavor to these donuts and some serious health benefits. Eating pumpkin can boost vision, thanks to its high vitamin A content. It can keep skin youthful and free of wrinkles, all while helping to prevent cancer.
But the health benefits don’t stop there! And I know what you are thinking, donuts… how could they possibly be healthy?
After one bite you’ll never believe it, but these baked pumpkin donuts are vegan, gluten-free, and baked instead of fried. They are made with natural sweeteners and whole grains. So you can have your Pumpkin Donut and eat it too.
And then eat another and another…
Ingredients for baked donuts recipe:
For the wet ingredients:
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup packed pitted dates
- 1/3 cup coconut milk (from a can)
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the wet ingredients:
- 1 1/4 cup oat flour (gluten free if needed)
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the glaze:
- 1/2 cup melted cacao butter
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 2 teaspoons chai spice tea powder
Extra coconut sugar for dusting
Directions to make these delicious baked donuts:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 6 hole donut pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Add all the dry ingredients into a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and stir to combine.
- Spoon the batter into the donut pan, about half the batter will fill up the pan.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until the donuts spring back when poked. Let the donuts cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then invert onto a cooling wrack. Repeat this process until you have used up all of the batter.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, stir together the glaze ingredients. Heat, stirring constantly, until the ingredients are well incorporated, about 5 minutes.
- Dunk each donut into the glaze and then transfer them back onto the cooling rack and sprinkle them with coconut sugar. Once the glaze has set, serve.
These pumpkin donuts are like a bite of fall. They can easily be made at home and enjoyed without any guilt, thanks to the few healthy swaps we made. Keep a batch of these around at all times! You’ll be glad you did!