This pumpkin spice french toast is the perfect Fall breakfast recipe. It is loaded with flavor and can be made allergy-friendly if needed. Thanks to apples high fiber content, they can lower cholesterol, keep our digestive systems regular, and help us maintain a healthy weight. This fruit can also reduce asthma attacks, increase respiratory health, and even boost our brain power.
This recipe is a double dose of Fall flavor.
First, we start off with the pumpkin spice french toast. Crusty bread gets soaked in a creamy dreamy pumpkin custard that is spiked with Fall spices. The bread soaks all the custard up before it gets fried to a perfect golden brown. Crispy edges, fragrant spices, and a whole lotta Fall Flavor.
The pumpkin spice french toast is great enough to stand on its own, but for a double whammy, we top it with a Caramel Apple Sauce. This sauce uses coconut sugar, maple syrup, and butter to create a silky caramel. Then we add in some diced apples and simmer the sauce until they infuse their flavor and are cooked to crisp-tender perfection.
Not only does this breakfast taste like a dream, it is actually on the healthier side!
Pumpkin, another Fall favorite, adds even more health benefits to our pumpkin spice french toast. Like carrots, pumpkin gets its orange hue from vitamin A, which can boost eye and skin health. Pumpkin can also help us recover faster from a workout and boost our immune systems.
And there is, even more, to love about this Pumpkin Spice French Toast. It can easily be made allergy-friendly.
For a gluten-free version, just swap in slices of your favorite gluten-free bread.
For a vegan or dairy-free version, use a high-quality vegan butter in the Caramel Apple Sauce. The custard is already free of eggs and dairy, so no need to make any changes there.
This recipe is also quick. The Caramel Apple Sauce can be made while the Pumpkin Spice French Toast is cooking, cutting way down on your kitchen time. This decadent breakfast can be on the table in as little as 30 minutes.
Ingredients for pumpkin french toast recipe:
For the French toast:
- 8 slices of bread (gluten-free if needed)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Coconut oil for cooking
For the Caramel Apple Sauce:
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 apple, diced
Directions to make the spiced pumpkin french toast:
- In a bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, coconut milk, maple syrup, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Pour the mixture into a shallow dish and add in the bread. Coat the bread in the custard and let it sit for 5 minutes to soak in the custard.
- Add a teaspoon of coconut oil into a nonstick pan. Warm over medium heat until the coconut oil has melted. Add in one piece of french toast and cook until it is golden brown on both sides, about 3-5 minutes per side. Repeat until all the french toast has been cooked.
- While the french toast is cooking, add the maple syrup and coconut sugar to another skillet. Cook over medium heat until the coconut sugar has dissolved. Add in the butter and stir until it has melted.
- Bring the mixture up to a simmer and add in the apples. Cook until the apples are fork tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Serve the french toast with the caramel apple sauce poured over the top.
This pumpkin spice french toast recipe tastes like Fall on a plate. The flavors of warm spices, rich pumpkin, and bright apple make this a breakfast to remember. Good thing that this healthy(ish) and allergy-friendly breakfast is quick to make, because you’ll want to eat this every day of the week.