How to Make a DIY Sequinned Felt Bird Bookmark in Just 4 Steps
DIY bookmarks are pretty popular nowadays, so making aDIY sequinned felt bird bookmarkis a great way to add a little extra flair to your bookmarks!
While some people may avoid crafting projects such as these since they seem to be too much work, they are simple and require only a few materials.
Today’s project aims to show you how easy it is to make a beautiful and unique bookmark using only a few items that can easily be found around the house. This DIY bookmark idea is perfect for those who love birds or are looking for a unique gift, so let’s get started!
Supplies for a DIY Sequinned Felt Bird Bookmark
For this project, you’ll need the following:
- Template (which you candownload here):We’ve provided you with a downloadable PDF template that you can use to make your own felt bird bookmark. However, feel free to draw up your templates and use those instead.
- Colored felt:For our design, we used pink felt to make the body, blue felt to make the wings, black felt to make the eyes, and purple felt to make the beak, however, don’t feel like you have to stick to these colors. Use whatever you like!
- Sequins:We used teal-colored sequins for our project, but you can use any color you like. However, we recommend that you use sequins that match either the color of the wings or the color of the bird’s body.
- A pair of tailor’s scissors:You’ll need to cut the felt into the appropriate shapes, so we recommend a good pair of tailoring scissors for more precise cuts.
- Markers:You’ll need the markers to draw out the outlines of your felt bird bookmark. Try to stay away from using permanent markers, as the ink may bleed through the felt.
- Needle and thread:The color of the thread isn’t too important for this project since there’s no visible stitching. Use whatever you have around the house already.
- Paper clips: This is what makes your sequinned felt bird bookmark stay on your book, so try getting the biggest and sturdiest paper clips that you can find.
How do I make a simple DIY Sequinned Felt Bird Bookmark?
Follow the instructions below to learn more about how you can make your own sequinned felt bird bookmark.
- Print and cut out the bird template:Start by printing out the downloadable template we’ve provided for you, then use sharp scissors to cut out the bird shape. Cut the bird components out of felt using paper shapes as templates. You’ll have 8 felt shapes: two for the body, two for the wings, two for the beak, and two for the eyes.
- Decorate the bird’s wings:Use a needle and thread to attach the sequins to the felt wings. You can do this in any pattern you like. We went ahead and covered the entire wings in sequins.
- Attach the paper clip:Apply glue on one side o a body felt shape, adhere it to a paper clip, and then sandwich it between the two body pieces. Press down on the paperclip to make sure that the glue adheres well.
- Assemble the remaining bird:Use your glue gun to attach the wings, eyes, and beak to the body. Make sure that they are placed symmetrically on either side of the body. Place the bookmark under a heavy book to let the glue set, and that’s it, your DIY sequinned felt bird bookmark is now complete!
If you need a little extra help, we’ve also put together a quick video tutorial showing you how to make your own sequinned felt bird bookmark. Watch it here:
How can I improve my DIY sequinned felt bird?
If you find our design to be a bit too basic and wish to improve upon it, here are some ways that you can do so:
- Use different cutout templates:We created the original template with simplicity in mind, but you can certainly use more elaborate templates if you wish. You can even make your own!
- Useglitterorrhinestones:If stitching sequins onto your bookmark is too difficult, you can try using glitter, rhinestones, or even small costume jewelry pieces. Just glue them onto the felt in any pattern that you like.
- Go for realism:You can try making this bird-themed bookmark come alive by adding realistic details such asfeathersor evengoogly eyes.
- Try different colors:Birds are available in all colors, so don’t feel you have to stick to the traditional blue and pink. Be creative and experiment with different color combinations.
We hope that you enjoyed this quick and easy DIY project. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them down below.
And, if you need some inspiration, go ahead and check outthese fantastic DIY bookmark ideas.
Did you manage to create this DIY sequinned felt bird? If so, let us know how it turned out! Happy crafting!