ADIY heart bookmarkmade out of felt is a simple yet effective way to show your love for reading.
Making your very own DIY bookmark is not only a great way of saving money (bookmarks can be quite pricey!), but it’s also a lovely way to show your personality and style.
Today’s guide will show you how you can make your own DIY heart bookmark step-by-step.
You can make them for yourself or gift them to your friends, family, or even your better half – what reader wouldn’t love receiving a beautiful, handmade bookmark?
Supplies for a DIY heart bookmark
Below you will find a list of supplies you will need to create your DIY heart bookmark, along with some tips on how to use them.
- Colored felt:You’ll need felt to make the body of your bookmark. You can find this at any craft store. As for what color felt, we chose grey since it’s a neutral color, and you can gift it to anyone without seeming too romantic.
- Tailor’s scissors:These will come in handy when you need to cut the felt into the shape of a heart. Since felt can be tricky to cut, a pair of extra-sharp tailoring scissors should do the job just fine.
- Fine-point marker:You’ll only need this to outline your heart on the felt. Any old marker will do, but we recommend using a fine-point one so that the outline is as precise as possible. If free-hand drawing is difficult, you can also include aheart-shaped stencil.
- Sewing pins:These will not make it into the final design of the felt heart bookmark, but they will help hold the felt in place while you’re stitching them together under the sewing machine.
- Sewing machine(ortextile glue):We used a sewing machine to stitch two heart-shaped pieces of felt together. We chose stitching instead of gluing since it’s more durable and gives the bookmark a much more homemade feel. However, you can opt for textile glue if you don’t have access to a sewing machine.
How do I make a simple DIY heart bookmark?
To make a basic DIY heart bookmark, simply follow the instructions and the illustrations listed in the section below:
- Cut out the felt hearts:Start by cutting two identical felt squares sized 3.14-inches (8 cm). Use your fine-point marker to trace a heart onto one of the squares so that the bottom of the heart perfectly aligns with one of the square’s corners. Then use your tailor’s scissors to cut the two felt hearts out.
- Secure the two pieces of the heart:Use the first felt heart as a template to cut out the second one. Once you have two felt hearts, align them perfectly on top of each other and secure them using 4-5 sewing pins.
- Sew the two hearts together:If you’re using a sewing machine, set it to a straight stitch and sew along the edge of the two hearts’ bottom corners, making sure to remove the pins as you go along. If you’re not using a sewing machine, simply apply textile glue along the edge of one heart, attach it to the other, and place the bookmark under a heavy book to dry.
And that’s it! Your simple DIY heart bookmark is now complete.
How can I make my DIY heart bookmark even more interesting?
If our original DIY heart bookmark design seems too simplistic for your taste, here are some things that you can do to make it more interesting:
- Different colors:If you want to craft this bookmark for a loved one, you could always try some of the more traditional colors, such as red or pink. Alternatively, find out what that person’s favorite color is and use that instead.
- Fancy stitches:If you’re using a sewing machine, try out some of the more decorative stitches to add a bit of flair to your bookmark. We went with a simple straight stitch, but feel free to get creative!
- Different materials:While felt is the most commonly used material for bookmarks, you could also experiment with other fabrics, such as cotton or wool. If you want to make it even more stylish and don’t mind paying extra for crafting supplies, you could also usefaux PU leather.
- Embellish the bookmark withbeads or sequins:This is a great way to add some extra personality to your bookmark. Simply stitch or glue some beads or sequins onto the felt hearts before attaching them.
- Write a cute message on it:If you plan on gifting this DIY bookmark, you could also stitch a cute message onto one of the hearts, such as “I Love You” or “Happy V-Day.”
- Add a tassel:This is a great way to make your bookmark look more luxurious. Just make it look like it’s coming out of the corner of the heart. However, ensure the tassel is light enough so the heart doesn’t fall out of your book.
So there you have everything you need to know about making your DIY heart bookmark!
However, don’t forget that bookmarks come in all shapes and sizes; you just have to know where to look for them. For example, if you love corner bookmarks, maybe you’ll also like our cartoonish DIY polar bear corner bookmark. However, if you want something that looks more like a typical bookmark, take a look at our DIY felt flower bookmark.
Have you ever made a DIY bookmark before? What did you use? Let us know in the comments below!