This Savory Quinoa Breakfast Bowl is loaded with big flavor and nutrients to start your morning off right. This recipe is gluten free, vegetarian, and vegan friendly.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but do you ever get tired of sweet breakfasts? We love our oatmeal, smoothies, and yogurt, but sometimes it is nice to mix it up with a savory option. For all of those savory breakfast fans out there, this breakfast is loaded with buttery avocado, juicy tomatoes, and tossed with a bright lemon vinaigrette that will wake up our tastebuds in the morning and sets us up for a whole day of healthy choices.
It can be easier to sneak nutrients into a savory breakfast. This breakfast is lower in sugar and higher in satiating fat and protein, than its sweeter counterparts. With the exception of green smoothies, vegetables are much easier to add to savory than sweet breakfasts.
And if it’s the most important meal of the day, why not have a vibrant vegetable packed meal?
The quinoa forms the base of this bowl and is one of the most protein rich grains on the market. This grain, which is actually a grain-like seed, can reduce inflammation and regulate blood sugar. If you can regulate your blood sugar levels at breakfast, you are setting yourself up for steady levels all day long.
The edamame in the recipe also adds in more plant based protein. Edamame contains a wide array of nutrients in addition to protein. This humble bean can reduce overall appetite, improve heart function, prevent cancer, and help you maintain a healthy weight.
The nutrient content and flavor explosion of this breakfast just might make it a weekday staple. If you want to enjoy this breakfast all week long, cook up a double batch and store it in the fridge. In the morning just top it with a fried egg if desired and breakfast is served.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 brussel sprouts, shaved
- 1 cup shelled edamame
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 fried eggs
For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Zest of one lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced dill
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. In a large pot, bring the water to a simmer. Add in the quinoa and salt. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 8 minutes.
2. Add the brussel sprouts and edamame to the top of the pot. Cover and cook for another 7 minutes, or until the quinoa has absorbed all the water and the veggies are tender.
3. In a bowl, whisk together all of the dressing ingredients.
4. Add the dressing into the pot with the quinoa and veggies and stir to combine.
5. Ladle the quinoa mixture into bowls and top with cherry tomatoes and avocado.
6. Top with a fried egg and serve.