Pumpkin Pie may be the most popular Fall dessert of all time. It is warm, creamy, sweet and downright delicious. These Mini Pumpkin Pies are a single serving of one of our favorite desserts.
But, these mini pies are something special. If you lean in real close, we will tell you the secret reason why…
THEY ARE HEALTHY!
Scratch that. We can’t keep this a secret. Go tell it on the mountains. These Mini Pumpkin Pies are every bit as delicious as the real deal, but are healthier, lighter, and more nutritious.
The secret healthy ingredient: Garbanzo beans.
Garbanzo beans are also known as Chickpeas and are most often used in hummus. And right there we can begin to see why they would work well in this dessert. Hummus is incredibly creamy and luscious, which is exactly what we want for our pumpkin pie. The only change to make, is to make the garbanzo beans sweet and creamy instead of savory and creamy. Garbanzo beans are pretty neutral in flavor on their own, so with a bit of sweetener, pumpkin puree, and pumpkin pie spice, you have the creamiest dreamiest pumpkin pie filling.
Garbanzo beans do more than create the perfect texture, they make the pie more satiating, since they are loaded with health-increasing fiber. They also help stabilize blood sugar, making you less likely to have a sugar crash after eating a a slice of pie. And just one serving of this humble bean, provides more than 55 nutrients.
To make the worlds best Mini Pumpkin Pies, follow these tips:
Tip #1: Blend, blend, and blend some more.
You won’t even taste the beans in this pie, as long as you blend until the filling is silky smooth. If you stop short of a fine puree, you could be left with a telltale chunk of bean in your filling. Since biting into bean chunks while eating dessert is probably not on your to-do list, make sure that there are no visible chunks in your filling before pouring and baking.
Tip #2: Keep it chill.
Letting these mini pies chill in the refrigerator overnight, might seem like torture when all you want to do is dive in. Without letting them chill, the pies do not set up properly. They are too soft, mushy, and stick to the cupcake liners. Letting them sit in the fridge overnight, or for at least 8 hours, produces a mini pie that is creamy, but set every time.
Ingredients you’ll need for Pumpkin Pies Recipe:
For the crust:
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
For the filling:
- 1 15 oz. can pumpkin
- 1 15 oz. can garbanzo beans
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Coconut whipped cream (optional)
Directions to prepare a delicious Pumpkin Pie:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the almond meal and oat flour until it is clump free.
- Add in the coconut oil and maple syrup and stir to combine. Using a tablespoon measure, press the crust into the bottom of the cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Add all the filling ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- Pour the filling into the cupcake pan.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until the surface of the pies begin to crack. Remove from the oven and let cool. Transfer to the refrigerator and refrigerate overnight. Serve with whipped cream if desired.