Can You Freeze Chocolate Chip Cookies? Here’s How You Can Do This
One of our favorite snacks to have with our coffee is a chocolate chip cookie, but if we’re being honest, we could probably have them at any time of day. But can we make more of these and freeze the chocolate chip cookies so we can have them for a longer time?
Chocolate chip cookies are delicious and we completely understand why you would want to freeze a bunch of these for later since they do require a bit of work put into making them.
Can You Freeze Chocolate Chip Cookies?
One of our readers has sent us a message about whether or not they can freeze chocolate chip cookies, so here’s their message:
My grandchildren came over this weekend and we baked a double batch of chocolate chip cookies. They ate their fill, and I even sent them home with some cookies, but I kept some leftover cookies for when they come to visit again.
I was thinking of placing them in the freezer. I’ve frozen cookie dough before, but I’ve never tried freezing baked chocolate chip cookies. Now I’m worried that they will harden in the freezer and not be any good after I thaw them out for the grandkids. Can you freeze chocolate chip cookies?
Yes, you can absolutely freeze chocolate chip cookies. Your grandchildren are going to be able to enjoy those cookies for months to come!
The main issue that tends to arise when freezing chocolate chip cookies is having them harden or get freezer burn, but those issues can be easily avoided if the cookies are prepared and frozen carefully.
How to Freeze Chocolate Chip Cookies?
For best results, it’s important to freeze chocolate chip cookies when they are as fresh as possible. Ideally, they would be frozen the day they are baked to retain maximum freshness.
- Bake the cookies according to your recipe, and then let them cool.
- While you can simply place the baked chocolate chip cookies into freezer bags and seal them, they will taste better and retain more of their original texture if they’re individually wrapped first.
- Wrap each individual chocolate chip cookie tightly in plastic wrap. Make sure that no part of the cookie is exposed to the air.
- Place the wrapped cookies in a freezer bag, then seal.
- To save space in the freezer, stack the cookies in piles of four or five, then wrap the stack in a double layer of plastic wrap and freeze.
- Avoid placing anything heavy on top of the cookies in the freezer or they will crumble.
How to Keep Chocolate Chip Cookies for Longer?
Those who want to keep their chocolate chip cookies in the freezer for longer and to make sure they keep their taste intact can use a vacuum sealer. These appliances work by sucking out the air from the freezer bags or containers and sealing them perfectly so no air gets in.
We have a long list of vacuum sealers you can try out, but our favorite is the FoodSaver V4840 2-in-1 Vacuum Sealer Machine. This one works with both freezer bags and containers of various sizes so it can help you save smaller portions and bigger dishes too.
How to Thaw Chocolate Chip Cookies?
Are you ready to have some more chocolate chip cookies from your stash in the freezer? Let’s see what you must do:
- To thaw frozen chocolate chip cookies, remove the desired number of cookies from the freezer.
- Place on the counter or in the fridge to thaw completely.
Frozen chocolate chip cookies can also be thawed in the microwave.
- Unwrap the cookies and place on a microwave-safe dish, then defrost the cookies for around 30 seconds.
- Thawed chocolate chip cookies should be eaten within two days for best results.
- They can be frozen for up to two months, but are best if eaten within 3-4 weeks. Do not refreeze previously frozen chocolate chip cookies.
Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
If you don’t have a reliable chocolate chip cookie recipe, we can definitely help you out.
Ingredients chocolate chip cookies:
- softened butter – 1 cup
- flour – 3 cups
- sugar – 1 cup
- brown sugar – 1 cup
- eggs – 2
- vanilla extract
- hot water – 2 teaspoons
- pinch of salt
- baking soda – 1 teaspoon
- chocolate chips – 2 cups
You can also add chopped walnuts, peanuts, pistachios, or hazelnuts.
Instructions for chocolate chip cookies:
Making your chocolate chip cookies is super easy.
- Make sure to preheat your oven to about 356 degrees F (180 degrees C) before you start mixing your ingredients.
- Get your mixer out and whip the butter with white sugar and brown sugar.
- Add in one egg at a time into the mixture.
- Pour in the vanilla extract and mix it in.
- The baking soda needs to be dissolved in a little bit of hot water.
- Add to the batter and throw in a pinch of salt.
- Next, it’s time to add the flour. Mix it all together.
- Lastly, using a spatula, add the chocolate chip cookies and any nuts if you want to add any.
- Using a spoon, drop the mixture on a pan.
- Throw in the oven for about 10 minutes. Watch the cookies and adjust the time as needed – your edges need to brown out, but not burn.