This easy and healthy vegetable soup recipe is the kind of meal that I want to curl up with on a rainy or snowy Fall or Winter day. It is hearty, flavorful, and filled with the season’s best produce.
This soup is made using hearty in-season vegetables like carrots, parsnips, and potatoes. These three make a wonderful combination, resulting in a hearty soup, but you can easily swap these for any other hearty vegetables you have on hand. Squash, celery root, or sweet potatoes would all work well in this soup.
But there are a few things to know in order to make the absolute best Winter Vegetable Soup:
Tip #1: Keep it even-steven.
There are a lot of vegetables that go into this soup, and that is one reason that it is SO good! When you are chopping your root vegetables, be sure to keep all the cuts even. You want your potatoes, carrots, and parsnips to be similar sizes, that way they will cook evenly at the same time.
Tip #2: Take stock of your stock.
This recipe calls for vegetable stock, but you can easily swap that for chicken stock if that’s what you have on hand. Or you can swap the stock for broth without sacrificing much flavor. Just make sure one thing remains the same: you need to use low sodium stock. Different stock brands have different quantities of salt, and the recipe can become too salty really quickly. Instead, purchase and use low-sodium stock and season with salt to taste.
Ingredients you’ll need for this vegetable soup:
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped parsnips
- 2 cups chopped potatoes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth + 2 cups water
- 2 cups cooked brown rice OR wild rice mix
- 3 cups chopped Tuscan kale
How to make a healthy vegetable soup: Step by Step
- Heat the avocado oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat. Once warm, add in the onion, celery, and salt. Sauté until the onions are translucent, about 7-10 minutes. Add in the garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds.
- Add in the carrots, parsnips, potatoes, Italian seasoning, pepper, and broth and water. Bring to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender.
- Add in the rice and simmer until warmed through.
- Add in the kale and simmer until wilted. Serve.