You will never miss out on pizza night with this healthy and fresh Vegan Margarita Pizza with Gluten-Free Socca Crust! Pizza is for everyone. Whether you have allergies, food restrictions, or are on a plant-based diet, you deserve a slice of pizza. With its gooey cheese, its sweet marinara, and the browned, crisp crust.
But the problem occurs when you are unable to eat the main pizza ingredients like cheese and bread. A growing number of people are intolerant to or are avoiding these ingredients, sadly leaving good pizza off the menu. That is until today.
This vegan margarita pizza with gluten-free socca crust is a healthy, homemade, allergy-friendly, whole food plant-based pizza that also tastes like a million bucks. I can hear the hallelujah choir singing. The crust is made out of super healthy and even tastier garbanzo bean flour. This type of flatbread is called socca and is a French and Italian delicacy. It is moist and fluffy, yet hearty enough to load on the toppings.
The cheese is a mixture of hemp seeds and cashews plus a few herbs to really amp up the flavor factor. If you are allergic to nuts, simply replace the cashews with more hemp seeds in this recipe for a nut-free version.
This pizza night also comes with some major health benefits:
Hemp seeds are relatively new to the food scene, depending on where you live. These seeds are full of healthy fats, protein, and minerals. They are a rich source of anti-inflammatory omega 3 fatty acids which help to create healthy skin – our largest organ.
Basil adds loads of fresh flavor but also packs in loads of health creating compounds. Basil offers DNA protection, fights cancer growth, and has antibacterial properties. It is also a great source of vitamin K, which is essential for our blood and bone health.
Ingredients for vegan margarita pizza with gluten-free socca crust recipe:
For the crust:
- 2 cups garbanzo bean flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- For the pizza sauce:
- 1 (15)oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 (6)oz. can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch pepper
For the cheese:
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for 4 hours
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons mellow white miso
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup hulled hemp hearts
For the rest:
- 2 roma tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- Olive oil
Directions to bake a delicious vegan pizza:
- Whisk together the garbanzo bean flour, salt and pepper.
- Whisk together the olive oil and the water. Slowly drizzle in the water and oil mixture, whisking constantly. Whisk until smooth and the batter has no clumps. Set aside to thicken, preferably for 1 hour.
- While the batter is resting, add the cashews, nutritional yeast, white miso, vinegar, salt, and water into a high speed blender. Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add the cheese sauce into a bowl and stir in the hemp hearts. Set aside.
- Add the pizza sauce ingredients into a saucepan. Place over medium-low heat and cook, stirring frequently, until warmed through.
- Once the batter has rested, turn the oven onto high broil. If your oven does not broil, preheat it to the highest setting. Using a 8 inch pan or cast iron skillet, pour in enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Use a paper towel to spread the olive oil around the pan and up the sides. Ladle in 1/8th of an inch of batter and top with some freshly cracked pepper.
- Bake for 3-5 minutes, until the socca has set and is golden brown around the edges. Remove from the oven and remove from the pan. Repeat with the remaining batter. Once finished, change the oven temperature to 450 degrees.
- Once the soccas have been made, spread out a layer of pizza sauce onto each socca.
- Top with dollops of cheese.
- Then top with slices of tomato.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes until the cheese is golden brown. Remove from the oven and top with fresh basil. Serve.