This Easy Tortilla Soup Recipe is a warm, hearty, and healthy meal. It is full of rich Mexican flavors and textures. Add on your toppings of choice to personalize each bowl!
This is the season for soup. The season of the post holiday buzzzzz, which has left you in a happily tired state of contentment, but tired nonetheless. This season has probably packed in a few cookies and decadent meals, and you are looking to reset. It is also cold outside if you call the north hemisphere your home, and though you want to get back on that health train, you also need something warm and hearty to get you going.
Enter this soup.
Super healthy. Super hearty. Super easy.
Everything you need in a post holiday meal.
And this soup is still a fun weeknight meal. You can customize each bowl with your toppings of choice. Dollop, sprinkle, and swirl your way to soup perfection.
I recommend serving this dish with buttery sliced avocado, crunchy tortilla chips, shredded cheese, sliced scallions, and fresh cilantro.
The beans in this recipe are filled with good-for-you fiber. Fiber is an essential part of every diet, as it can better your digestion and decrease the risk of developing a digestive disorder. Pinto beans are full of iron, which can increase your level of energy. Black beans contain antioxidant and anti-inflammatory phytonutrients which support heart health. Garbanzo beans can keep your blood sugar regulated and keep you satiated for hours.
Beyond the beans, corn packs in additional nutrition, both in the form of whole corn and tortilla chips. Corn can actually improve our absorption of all the nutrients found in the beans we add to this recipe. Corn adds a nice sweetness to this recipe, without adding much sugar. A medium ear of corn has less sugar than most fruits and is full of fiber which can slow the absorption of that sugar down to a very healthy pace.
So ladle up a bowl and get to toppin’.
Ingredients you’ll need for Tortilla Soup Recipe:
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1/2 of a large yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 bay leaves
- A few handfuls of tortilla chips
- Sliced avocado
- Shredded cheese
- Tortilla chips
- Sliced scallions
- Cilantro leaves
Directions step by step to prepare the Tortilla Soup :
- Heat the coconut oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven. Add in the onion, celery, carrot, salt and pepper. Sauté until the veggies are wilted and the onions are translucent.
- Add in the bell pepper, and sauté for another 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add in the tomato paste, chili powder, and oregano. Sauté, sitting frequently until the tomato paste has darkened in color, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the beans and corn. Stir to combine.
- Add in the tomatoes, vegetable broth, and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer and cover. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid, and stir in a few handfuls of tortilla chips. Simmer for 10-15 minutes to let the chips soften into the soup.
- Serve with desired toppings.