Keto Swedish Meatballs – Make the Best Meatballs and Gravy
These keto Swedish meatballs are creamy, delicious, and make the perfect keto weeknight dinner. They’re naturally low-carb, gluten free, and packed with protein. The gravy that these keto meatballs are dunked in makes this a family favorite dinner! Who doesn’t love creamy and savory gravy?
This recipe was inspired from the website Green and Keto. Green and Keto has tons of recipes, information, and tips for anyone who is interested in a low-carb or keto diet. Their recipes are made using real and natural foods which may help you stay on track to a healthy lifestyle.
Ingredients for keto Swedish meatballs
- 1 lb ground beef –Ground beef is the main ingredient in these keto meatballs. We would recommend using a leaner cut of ground beef to increase the protein content and decrease the fat content. Not only is protein great for you, but this is going to help keep the calories in the meal down.
- 1 onion, diced – Onions are a low-cost and easy way to add so much flavor to any recipe. For this meatball recipe, we would recommend using a red onion, diced into small pieces.
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped –Garlic is a classic ingredient in so many recipes. It’s a pantry staple and should not be left out of these keto meatballs!
- ¼ cup almond meal –Almond meal is a low-carb and gluten-free flour that can replace breadcrumbs. Almond meal is different from almond flour so make sure you’re using almond meal! The textures of the two are very different and almond flour will not produce the desired meatball texture.
- 1 teaspoon salt –Salt is another classic spice in tons of recipes. Feel free to add more salt onto your keto meatballs before serving!
- ½ teaspoon balck pepper –Similarly with salt, feel free to add more black pepper onto your Swedish meatballs before serving.
- ¼ teaspoon allspice –Allspice is a super popular spice that’s commonly found in European Cuisines. It has hints of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and slight peppery flavors. Allspice blends so well with the creamy gravy in this meatball recipe.
- 1 large egg –Adding one egg will add structure to these keto Swedish meatballs. Eggs also have many health benefits!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil –Olive oil is a great healthy source of fat. It also makes this recipe extra juicy.
- 1 tablespoon salted butter – Salted butter will work best for this recipe because the salt is going to add a pinch more flavor. If you do not have salted butter, you can use unsalted butter and add your own salt.
- 1 cup beef stock – Beef stock is a great high protein, low calorie, and low-carb liquid to cook with. It also adds tons of flavor and will pair well with the meatballs.
- ½ cup heavy cream – Heavy cream is what makes this gravy creamy. Heavy whipping cream is a basic ingredient and can be found at most grocery stores.
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard – Dijon mustard adds a hint of savory spice to this creamy keto gravy. It’s also going to make the gravy turn into a nice golden color.
- Salt and pepper to taste – You can add salt and pepper while your gravy is cooking or you can wait until after your gravy is done cooking to add it in. The choice is yours!
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum – Xanthan gum is a thickening agent that will help this keto cream sauce come together and expand. The texture will be much better with xanthan gum so it’s important to add it in!
- Fresh chopped parsley – Parsley is another basic ingredient that adds so much flavor and spice. If you do not have fresh parsley you can use dried parsley.
Directions for keto Swedish meatballs:
In a large mixing bowl combine the ground beef, chopped onion, almond meal, egg, and spices.
Mix well until combined.
With damp hands roll into 24 small meatballs.
In a large skillet heat the olive over medium high heat. Add the meatballs and cook, turning every few minutes, until browned on each side and cooked through. You may need to cook in multiple batches to avoid overcrowding. Transfer to a plate.
Now for the sauce, add the butter to that same skillet, then once melted add the beef stock, cream, mustard, salt and pepper. Whisk over medium low heat. Bring to a simmer then whisk in the xanthan gum. Continue to simmer until thick, about 8 to 12 minutes.
Add the cooked meatballs back to the skillet and simmer for an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Serve over creamy garlic mashed cauliflower and sprinkle some fresh parsley on top. Enjoy!
Are meatballs gluten-free?
Normally, meatballs are not gluten-free since they have breadcrumbs. Breadcrumbs contain gluten and are high in carbs which is why we did not include them in this keto recipe. Instead of breadcrumbs, we used almond meal. Almond meal is low-carb and gluten-free! This recipe is gluten-free and safe for celiac disease but when dealing with celiac disease, it’s important to double check labels and watch out for cross contamination. Following those steps will help you avoid an adverse reaction to unexpected gluten.
How do I store keto Swedish meatballs?
If you have leftovers or you want to meal prep this low carb dish, you can easily store the meatballs by reading the following directions. After your keto meatballs have cooled completely, you can place them into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply microwave until your desired temperature is reached.
What to serve with keto Swedish meatballs:
Since these meatballs are a great source of protein and fat, we recommend serving them with some type of vegetable. Pairing this recipe with vegetables makes the best healthy, balanced, and low-carb meal! Including healthy and balanced meals into your diet will contribute to a healthy lifestyle!
- Garlic butter mushrooms
- Easy oven roasted Brussels sprouts
- Easy oven roasted broccoli
- Easy oven roasted asparagus
Keto Swedish Meatballs
These keto Swedish meatballs are creamy, delicious, and make the perfect keto weeknight dinner. They’re naturally low-carb, gluten free, and packed with protein.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ cup almond meal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon balck pepper
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1 cup beef stock
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- Fresh chopped parsley
- In a large mixing bowl combine the ground beef, chopped onion, almond meal, egg, and spices. Mix well until combined. With damp hands roll into 24 small meatballs.
- In a large skillet heat the olive over medium high heat. Add the meatballs and cook, turning every few minutes, until browned on each side and cooked through. You may need to cook in multiple batches to avoid overcrowding. Transfer to a plate.
- Now for the sauce, add the butter to that same skillet, then once melted add the beef stock, cream, mustard, salt and pepper. Whisk over medium low heat. Bring to a simmer then whisk in the xanthan gum. Continue to simmer until thick, about 8 to 12 minutes.
- Add the cooked meatballs back to the skillet and simmer for an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Serve over creamy garlic mashed cauliflower and sprinkle some fresh parsley on top. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 771Total Fat: 60gSaturated Fat: 24gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 30gCholesterol: 252mgSodium: 1302mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 48g