Make this amazing homemade Nutella recipe with real chocolate for a luxurious treat! Nutella is pretty hard to beat. I bet there are very few people in this world who’d say no if a spoonful of it was was waved in front of them.
Have you ever tried making it at home though? This is a slightly richer version, with an extra nutty flavour due to the from roasted hazelnuts. It also contains real chocolate – rather than just cocoa powder – for the ultimate chocolate flavor.
Use it for toast, pancakes or simply for dipping your strawberries in. So delicious, you’ll be making your second batch in no time.
This version uses a mixture of both milk and dark chocolate, but you can adjust depending on how creamy or rich you’d like your Nutella to be.
How to roast hazelnuts
The hazelnuts are roasted in the oven first, then cooled before the skins are removed. Leaving the hazelnut skins on can cause your chocolate sauce to be bitter, so it’s important to remove them. You could buy ready-blanched hazelnuts, but roasting them yourself adds an extra nutty-flavor.
After roasting the hazelnuts, it’s important to let them cool before removing the skins. This is because:
a) You might get burnt!
b) It’s actually easier to remove the skins once the hazelnuts have cooled.
Simply place them in a cloth tea towel and rub them all together. Most of the skins should come off easily. It’s then best to place in a large colander before shaking vigorously to let the bits of skin fall through the holes. It’s fine if some of the skins are left on, just try to remove as many as you can.
I also like to add a little honey for sweetness, a little coconut oil for smooth silkiness and shine, some cocoa powder for a deeper chocolate flavor, and a pinch of salt to lift the flavor even more.
So delicious, you’ll be making this again and again!
Here’s what you’ll need homemade Nutella:
Makes 2 small jars
- 2 cups hazelnuts
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 4 and a half ounces of your favorite chocolate, chopped (I used a half dark chocolate, half milk chocolate)
- pinch of salt
Step by step directions for homemade Nutella:
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Place the hazelnuts on a baking tray in a single layer and roast for 11-12 minutes until the skins on most of the hazelnuts start to crack. Take out of the oven and leave to cool.
- Place the cooled hazelnuts in a kitchen tea towel and rub together to remove the skins. You can then transfer to a colander and shake vigorously to let the skins fall through.
- Place the skinned hazelnuts in a food processor and blend until nearly smooth. This will take 8-10 minutes and there will be a number of stages.First the hazelnuts will turn to crumbs, then it will clump before finally breaking down into a creamy paste.The longer you blend it for, the creamier and smoother your paste will be, so don’t stop blending if your paste is grainy (make sure your food processor doesn’t over heat though!).
- Add the cocoa powder, honey, vanilla extract and coconut oil, then blend again. Add in the chocolate (no need to melt, the nut butter will be very warm by now, so the chocolate will melt quickly) and salt and blend again until very smooth.
Transfer to two small, mason jars. Store in the fridge or at room temperature (it should keep for at least a week).