It’s soup season again! This filling Hot and Sour Soup recipe with Chicken and Noodle will make your taste buds tingle! Summer may be great for cooling cocktails and evenings in the garden, but nothing beats Fall for cozying up in your favorite sweater and enjoying a bowl of hot soup.
A simple and quick soup to make, all of the ingredients are added to the pan in stages, and the flavor develops in super-fast time.
We used chicken in this version, but shredded pork works really well too.
If you want to make a vegetarian version, simply leave out the chicken entirely (you can replace with tofu if you like), and swap the chicken stock for vegetable stock.
This soup is packed with mushrooms, but add other veggies too if you like – snow peas, broccoli and pak choi work particularly well.
A deliciously filling spicy soup – perfect for a speedy weeknight dinner!
Here’s what you’ll need for the Hot and Sour Soup recipe:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pack cup of sliced mushrooms (we used baby chestnut mushrooms)
- 2/3 cup bamboo shoots (from a can)
- 2 red fresno chilies, seeds removed, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 1/2 tsp freshly minced ginger
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 litres hot chicken stock
- 1 packed cup shredded cooked chicken breast (approx 2 large chicken breasts)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 cups cooked rice noodles (cook first then run cold water over them and drain to stop the noodles sticking together)
- 2 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 3 tbsp cold water (optional)
- 3 tbsp chopped scallions (we used a mixture of green and purple scallions)
Directions to prepare a delicious chicken noodle soup:
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add in the mushrooms and cook on a medium-to-high heat for 5 minutes, until the mushrooms start to brown. Add in the bamboo shoots and cook for a further 2 minutes.Add in 2/3 of the chilies, the garlic, ginger, white pepper and sugar. Stir together and heat for 2 minutes, then add in the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and hot stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the cooked chicken and heat through for 2-3 minutes. Then stir the soup in one direction so that it’s swirling around in the pan. Whilst it’s swirling, pour in the egg in a thin stream. It should feather out and cook immediately.Add in the noodles and cook for a further 2 minutes to heat through. If you’d like your soup to be thicker, you can stir in some of the cornstarch slurry until thickened to your liking.
- Sprinkle on chopped scallions and the remaining chopped red chillies before serving.