Can You Freeze Feta Cheese? Learn How to Do This Right
With summer always on our minds, we always think about how tasty salads with feta cheese is, although if we’re to be honest, feta cheese is good with anything. So, when you buy feta cheese in bulk, you may not get to eat it all, so the question is whether or not you can freeze some of it off.
Saving money is always on our minds and you can definitely do that by taking advantage of sales.
Can You Freeze Feta Cheese?
Feta cheese is difficult to say no to as it goes so well with so many dishes. One of our readers sent us a message specifically asking about freezing feta cheese, so here it is:
Summer is coming, it’s time for making some great salads ! I just love putting feta cheese on salads, but I don’t use enough of it or eat it frequently enough to use up a whole package.
I find that once opened, feta cheese doesn’t tend to last very long in the fridge, unlike some other types of cheese. I find that I’m always throwing some away. As it’s quite expensive, I would like to avoid throwing it out. Can you freeze feta cheese?
Yes, you can freeze feta cheese. Feta has a wonderful salty flavor, and although it freezes quite well, it will lose a bit of its flavor and texture in the process.
Not to worry, there are ways to help bring some of that flavor back. In addition, feta cheese that has been frozen and then thawed will be crumblier than fresh feta, so it is better used crumbled in a recipe than served sliced.
How to Freeze Feta Cheese?
If you want to make sure your feta cheese is frozen properly, you have to go through a few easy steps.
- First off, remove it from the water it is packaged in.
- Pat lightly with a paper towel, but don’t worry about drying it too much.
- If you don’t plan to use all of the cheese at once time, consider cutting it into smaller blocks and wrapping the blocks individually.
- Double wrap each block of the cheese in plastic wrap to avoid freezer burn.
- Place the cheese in a freezer bag and remove the air from the bag.
- Seal, then label and date the bag and place in the freezer.
How to Keep Feta Cheese For Longer?
If you want to make sure that your feta cheese is good in the freezer for a longer time, you will want to check out a food saver. These appliances will take out all the air in the packages which ensure that anything you put in the bags or the containers is in good shape for a long time.
One of our favorites is the FoodSaver V4840 2-in-1 Vacuum Sealer Machine which works beautifully with freezer bags and containers of different sizes. It will seriously save you time and money in the long run.
In fact, if you want to read more about sealers, you can check out our list of best vacuum sealers. In this way, you’ll have more options before you go shopping (or ordering).
How to Thaw Feta Cheese?
Here’s what you have to do ahead of eating your delicious feta cheese
- To thaw feta cheese, remove the desired amount of feta cheese from the freezer and place in the refrigerator.
- Do not remove the wrapping from the feta as it thaws, as this can cause the cheese to dry out.
- Once completely thawed, taste the cheese.
If it has lost some of its flavor, place the feta in a brine of salt and water for a few hours to restore some if its traditional salty flavour. It can be stored in the brine until used.
Alternatively, feta cheese can be stored in olive oil, making it great for use in salads or as a topping for other recipes. Fresh feta can be stored this way as well to extend its life before freezing.
Feta cheese that has been frozen and then thawed should never be refrozen. It should be used within a few days of being thawed for best results, and works best when crumbled as a topping or in recipes that will be heated through.
How to Keep Feta Cheese Fresh for Longer
If you want to avoid freezing feta cheese, you may want to consider another solution to make sure your cheese keeps for longer.
Here are some solutions to making this work:
- The oil solution: cover the feta cheese in olive oil. You can keep it in the fridge for up to one month.
- The salty water solution: use a brin solution. Change the water every week You will have to rinse the cheese before serving it. You can keep it up to 3-4 weeks.
- The alcool solution: Wrap your feta in a vine leaf or fig leaf, and drop it in some fruit brandy (kirch, pear). This will add some flavor to the cheese.
Feta Cheese Recipes
Now that your feta cheese is either thawed or you’ve managed to extend its lifespan, we have a few feta cheese recipes you should really be making.
- Spring Vegetable And Feta Cheese Tart
- Sweetcorn And Feta Fritters
- Fully Loaded Veggie Nachos
- Crispy Shrimp Tacos With Chipotle Red Cabbage Slaw
- How To Make Vegetarian Black Bean Burgers
- Delicious Greek Style Salmon Salad Recipe
- Easy and Healthy Greek Quinoa Bowl Salad Recipe
- Homemade Vegetable Tart Recipe with Prosciutto
- Vegan Brunch – Green Shakshuka With Eggs Recipe
- Delicious Avocado Toast Recipe (w/ Eggs)