Crispy shrimp tacos with chipotle red cabbage slaw – tasty tacos loaded with crispy fried shrimp, a spicy chipotle slaw, avocado and salty feta cheese; the ultimate sharing food!
These crispy shrimp tacos are perfect for a casual summertime dinner party, or just for a fun family meal. They are really quick to prepare and once the slaw is made and the shrimp are cooked you can just lay out all the components so that people can assemble the tacos themselves. Don’t be put off by the long ingredients list, they really are easy to make!
I’m of the opinion that most things taste better when they are coated in breadcrumbs and deep fried; especially shrimp. I cannot resist deep fried shrimp! And if you stick that deep fried shrimp in a soft corn tortilla with some crunchy, spicy slaw, avocado and salty feta cheese, well then I am in heaven; which is what these tacos are – heavenly!
I think that they are best served accompanied by margaritas, or failing that a nice cold beer, for a truly perfect summer meal.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 4 cups finely shredded red cabbage
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrots
- 1 small red bell pepper, de-seeded and very finely diced
- 1 cup canned sweetcorn, drained
- 1 red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- small handful fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tsp chipotle chilli paste (or more to taste)
- juice 1/2 lime
- 5 Tbsp mayonnaise
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 1/2 cups dry breadcrumbs (such as panko)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp cajun seasoning
- salt and pepper
- vegetable oil for frying
- 12 small corn tortillas
- finely shredded lettuce
- sliced avocado
- pickled jalapeños
- 7oz crumbled feta cheese
- slices of lime
1.To make the slaw, place all of the ingredients in a large bowl and toss together; add more chipotle paste as needed and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and set aside in the fridge (can be made up to a couple of hours in advance).