Spring vegetable and feta cheese tart – an attractive asparagus, pea, scallion and cheese tart that makes the best use of Spring produce!
Winter always feels so much longer than the other seasons, for that reason I am incredibly glad that it is finally over and Spring is here. The Spring brings with it an abundance of fresh vegetables, my favourite of which is asparagus. This attractive spring vegetable and feta cheese tart makes great use of asparagus as well as some other tasty seasonal vegetables – peas and scallions.
The vegetables are paired with a creamy egg filling, salty feta cheese, fresh herbs and crisp parmesan pastry which makes for an incredibly delicious and beautiful tart which is good eaten both warm or cold. It makes a wonderful lunch served alongside a fresh salad and some crusty bread, preferably eaten outside in the sunshine!
It is very nearly Easter (already?!) and this tart would make a brilliant addition to an Easter brunch spread; or it is perfect for an impressive vegetarian option that is sure to make the meat eaters jealous (don’t worry – it’s big enough for everyone to have a try!).
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5oz (1 + 1/4) sticks cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1.4 oz (2/3 cup) freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, separated
- about 2-3 Tbsp ice cold water
- 14oz asparagus (about 23 spears)
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1.4 oz (2/3 cup) freshly grated parmesan
- small handful fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 7oz feta cheese, crumbled
- salt and pepper