Cauliflower Fried Rice recipe is a vegetable-packed side dish that tastes surprisingly close to the real thing! “Riced” cauliflower gets cooked with fried rice seasonings to create this flavorful and healthy dish.
This rice dish has all the flavors of regular fried rice. It has that lip smacking, complex salty flavor that is so irresistibly good. The cauliflower soaks up all the seasonings, similar to how rice would, for an equally flavor-packed dish.
This side is an easy health swap. We take the rice out of fried rice and substitute in cauliflower which cuts carbs, increases fiber, and most importantly sneaks in an extra serving of veggies.
With veggies that taste like fried rice, who wouldn’t be in?
And with the extra vegetables, come extra health benefits.
Thanks to the cauliflower, one serving of this rice contains all of your daily vitamin C and a smattering of additional necessary nutrients. It can reduce the risk of cancer, and is packed with disease fighting antioxidants. Plus, cauliflower keeps its nutrients even once cooked, so pass the rice please!
This recipe teaches you how to use tofu to substitute the egg in fried rice, but if you eat eggs, you are welcome to skip that step and just add in some scrambled eggs in their place. But, by doing so, you will lose out on one of the worlds most revered superfoods: turmeric.
The turmeric is what gives the tofu its “egg-y” color, but it does way more than that for your body. It is a one of the most effective known natural anti-inflammatory compounds. This allows turmeric to increase brain function, lowers the risk of heart disease, prevent Alzheimer’s disease and cancer, treat arthritis, battle depression, and treat chronic diseases! This is one powerful spice!
Ingredients for cauliflower fried rice recipe:
- 10 oz extra firm tofu
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into large florets
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 3/4 cup diced carrots
- 1/3 cup scallions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 3 tablespoons liquid aminos OR tamari
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
Directions to prepare cauliflower fried rice
- Add the tofu to a bowl and using a fork, break it into small, scrambled egg, shaped pieces.
- Add in the turmeric, nutritional yeast, and a pinch of salt. Mix to combine.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add in the tofu and cook, sitting occasionally, until browned. The tofu will stick to the pan, but this will create irritable browned bits. Once cooked, set aside.
- Add the cauliflower to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the S blade. Pulse the cauliflower until it has been broken down into rice sized pieces.
- Add the vegetable broth into a large skillet set over medium heat. Once the broth starts to simmer, add in the cauliflower and carrots. Cook until tender, adding more broth if necessary.
- Add in the peas, garlic, ginger, liquid aminos, coconut sugar, and white pepper. Stir to combine and cook until the peas are warmed through and all the liquid has cooked off.
- Add in the scallions and tofu. Warm through. Serve.