Have you ever think of how to make veggie burgers at home? This healthy recipe is full of fresh summer flavor and is perfect for a backyard barbecue. Summertime meals taste so much better when they are served in burger form. There is something so delicious about food that is served between two buns and loaded with all the best condiments and toppings. Bring on the summer barbecue season.
These veggie burgers with zucchini and corn are a great recipe when you are looking for something fresh, delicious, and full of flavor. Since these veggie burgers are made of veggies, we have a lot of opportunities to infuse them with flavor. For a summer-y fresh veggie burger recipe, we use sweet corn and zucchini. All my gardeners out there most likely have zucchini coming out of their ears! This recipe is a great way to use it up.
Not only do zucchini and corn add great flavor, but they also add in a major punch of nutrition!
Zucchini is a summer squash that contains a lot of trace minerals that you might not be getting elsewhere in your diet. It contains copper, zinc, and iron which support many of our bodily functions. Copper is needed to manufacture collagen, a vital component for healthy wrinkle-free skin and healthy bones. Zinc is needed to balance hormone levels and is necessary for proper thyroid function. Iron plays a major role in our energy levels and metabolism.
Corn is a staple in traditional South American diets. These populations who depended on corn as their main energy source lived long healthy lives, no doubt, in part to this crop. Corn is a carbohydrate that is slowly digesting, in part, due to its high fiber content. This means that corn is a steady source of energy over a period of hours and won’t spike our blood sugar levels like refined carbs. Corn can lower cholesterol levels, regulate blood sugar levels, and even help manages diabetes.
When making these veggie burgers with zucchini and corn there is one tip you need to follow so that they turn out perfect every time.
Corn and zucchini both contain a lot of water. This water has the potential to make our burgers soggy and mushy; not exactly what we are going for. We just need to remove the excess water from these two veggies, and our burgers will be toothsome and will hold together every time.
For the zucchini, we shred it and then toss it with salt. Then, let this sit for about 20 minutes. The salt will help to draw out extra moisture from the zucchini. Then, just give it a good squeeze to wring out any water and our zucchini is ready to go!
For the corn, I recommend using defrosted frozen. When the corn is frozen, the cell walls are ruptured during this process. When you let the corn defrost, this water will then com out of the corn as it comes back to room temperature. If you are looking to defrost quickly, just rinse the frozen corn under hot water until defrosted. Just be sure to dry the corn well before adding it to the burger batter.
Ingredients to make the homemade veggie burgers:
- 2 zucchinis
- 1 (15) oz. can of garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shelled pumpkin seeds (also called pepitas)
- 1/2 onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup quick oats (gluten free if needed)
- 1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour
- 1/3 cup plain or garlic hummus
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup frozen corn, defrosted and patted dry
Directions to cook the veggie burgers with zucchini and corn:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the flaxseeds and 1/4 cup water to a bowl and whisk to combine well. Set aside to allow the mixture to thicken.
- Directions, cut off the ends of the zucchini. Grate the zucchini using a box grater or the grater attachment on your food processor. Add to a bowl.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of the salt to the grated zucchini and toss to combine. Add the zucchini to a strainer and place that on top of a bowl. Set aside.
- Add the garbanzo beans, pumpkin seeds, onion, oats, garbanzo bean flour, hummus, flaxseed and water mixture, garlic, lemon juice, remaining salt, and pepper to a food processor fitted with an S blade. Process until the mixture forms a smooth batter. Transfer to a bowl.
- Take the grated zucchini still in the colander and press it firmly against the mesh to remove any excess water. Repeat until there is no more water running off the zucchini. Add the zucchini and corn to the burger batter and stir to combine.
- Form the batter into uniform burgers. Place them on the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Flip the burgers and bake for another 20.
- Allow the burgers to cool for 10 minutes before serving. Serve on a bun with desired toppings.
These homemade veggie burgers are a plant-based burger recipe that is full of fresh corn and zucchini flavor. They are the perfect summer barbecue recipe that will please the whole family, and provide them with a ton of nutrients! With just a few short steps and a few tips, your veggie burgers will turn out perfect every time.