Vegan alfredo pasta recipe with Grilled Asparagus is a healthy pasta dish that the whole family will love! It is full of spring flavor and can be made in less than 30 minutes!
There are two things that scream spring: fresh asparagus and lighting up the barbecue.
Spring vegetables are starting to pop up in the stores and it is warm enough to cook outside. Light up your grill, grab some asparagus, goodbye snow and cold temps, Spring is here!
This Vegan Alfredo Pasta with Grilled Asparagus is jam packed with flavor. It features fresh grilled asparagus, a rich and creamy sauce, and a garnish of herbs to take it over the top.
Alfredo might be a dish that you would avoid, but lets take another look at this recipe!
The Alfredo sauce is dairy-free and vegan. We lighten things up by using soaked cashews in leu of the cream and milk used in traditional Alfredo sauces. The cashews are neutral in flavor and blend up into a creamy sauce that you will not believe! Once we add in some traditional Alfredo flavors, you will be hard pressed to admit the sauce isn’t the real deal.
And to our healthy sauce, we add more nutritious ingredients.
Asparagus is the darling vegetable of Spring. It is one of the first plants to grow once the snow melts, and it can help us melt off our excess winter weight. Asparagus has been shown to reduce bloating. It is full of fiber and nutrients, but is low in calories to help us shed those hibernation pounds.
Nutmeg might seem like a strange addition to our Alfredo, but it has been used to flavor white sauces in Italy for years. It adds a rich flavor and a surprising amount of nutrition! Nutmeg contains eugenol which can act as a natural pain reliever. It is also a natural antibacterial.
Ingredients for the alfredo pasta:
- 3/4 cup cashew halves and pieces
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil OR olive oil
- 8 oz pasta of choice (we used brown rice noodles)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley, for garnish
Directions to prepare the alfredo pasta dish:
- Add the raw cashews into a lidded jar and cover with water. Let sit in the fridge overnight.
- The next day, drain and rinse the cashews. Add them into a high speed blender with the garlic, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, pepper, salt, nutmeg, and 1/2 cup water. Blend until smooth.
- Lay the asparagus onto your cutting board and cut off the woods stems. Discard these stems. Cut the remaining asparagus into 2 inch lengths. Toss them with the avocado oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Grill them on a barbaque or a grill pan until tender.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook your pasta according to the package directions. Toss the pasta with the sauce and asparagus and serve. Top with parmesan or vegan parmesan and parsley, if desired.
And I have a secret for you. This Vegan Alfredo Pasta with Grilled Asparagus is fancy enough to be served at a dinner party, but is quick enough to be made for a weeknight dinner. If you soak your cashews the night before, this meal comes together in under 30 minutes.
And if you have a tough time getting the kids (or yourself) to eat enough veggies, there is nothing like a cream sauce to do the trick. Toss and veg into Alfredo, and the crowd goes wild.
No matter what you serve it for, this quick and healthy meal will hit the spot.