How to Store Apples to Keep Them Fresh Longer
Nothing says fall like a crisp, juicy apple. Whether you’re picking them up at the farmer’s market or grabbing them from the grocery store, you need to know how to store apples so they stay fresh and tasty.
The apple is a superfruit that promotes a healthy lifestyle and significantly contributes to weight loss plans. It contains a wide range of vitamins and minerals when eaten raw or cooked into your favorite dishes. It also happens to be cheap and easy to find at the grocery store year-round.
Besides, apples are a great snack for kids on the go. And, you can keep your doctor away by taking advantage of the high amount of antioxidants provided by this fruit, in addition to enjoying a sweet taste of nostalgia with an apple pie.
It’s essential to learn how to store apples correctly if you don’t plan on eating them right away. Keep reading to discover the best storage techniques for apples.
How to Store Apples
Check out the following tips for storing apples:
- When picking apples from the store or harvesting them from your garden, check for bruises and nicks – consume the damaged ones right away and set aside the perfect ones for long-term storage.
- If you’re wondering about the best way to store numerous apples, you need a large, cool, and humid space like a cellar.
- The ideal temperature for storing apples is between 30 and 35 degrees Fahrenheit (-1 and 2 degrees Celsius) with 90% – 95% humidity; it’s recommended to maintain the same temperature and humidity levels throughout the storing process.
- Wrap the apples in newspaper and arrange them in a single layer in a crate. It’s wise to avoid stacking them up. However, if you have no other choice, make sure to add a sheet of newspaper between the rows – the key is to keep the fruits separated.
- Regularly check the fruits and remove any spoiled ones since one bad apple will cause the others to spoil faster.
- Partially ripe apples store well for 2 to 3 months under these conditions. However, if the apples are fully ripe, you should eat them right away – in less than 1 month.
- Large apples will spoil faster than smaller ones, so be sure to pick them first for eating or cooking.
How to Store Apples in the Fridge
If you’re wondering for how long do apples last in the fridge, the answer is up to 2 months. It’s an excellent storage solution when you don’t have too many apples. Here’s what you need to know:
- Place the apples in a pierced plastic bag in the fridge’s vegetable drawer.
- It’s also a good idea to wrap the fruits in a damp paper towel before placing them in the bag.
- Don’t remove the stem of the apples until you are ready to consume them since it may cause them to ripe faster.
- To keep the apples fresh longer in the fridge, separate them by wrapping them in individual paper towels.
- If you have other fruits or vegetables in the fridge, don’t store them near the apples. These red fruits release ethylene gas, a substance that speeds up decay.
- When removing the apples from the fridge, give them enough time to warm up before eating or cooking since the cold temperature can affect their texture.
How to Store Cut Apples
The inner flesh of apples starts turning brown as soon as it’s exposed to air due to oxidation. In case you’re wondering, it’s perfectly safe to eat oxidized apples (provided that they haven’t become brown for a long time), although they won’t taste the same as fresh apples.
If you have cut an apple in half but haven’t eaten the entire fruit, you can preserve the remaining half in the fridge after wrapping it with plastic wrap. Another cool trick is to sprinkler the fresh with lemon juice to slow down oxidation.
Can You Freeze Apples?
Yes, it’s possible to freeze apples for 3 to 6 months.
However, it’s not a good idea to take this route since the freezing process will affect their flavor, appearance, and texture. The only time you should freeze the apples is when you want to use them later for baking. In this case, chop them up and put them in an airtight container.
Can You Dehydrate Apples?
Yes, another way to preserve apples is to dehydrate them. It’s actually an excellent way to save storage space in your refrigerator or freezer since you can keep dry apples in the pantry.
Besides, they are delicious and healthy snacks, as well as a cool trick worth trying if your kids got bored with eating raw apples. You can enjoy dehydrated apples for up to 6 months.
The easiest way is by using a dehydrator. However, if that’s not an option, you can also dry apples in the oven or air dry them.
Storing Apples FAQ
Discover more useful information about apples and how to properly store them.
What are the health benefits of apples?
Apples are an excellent source of dietary fiber, vitamin C, and minerals such as potassium and magnesium. Antioxidants help keep you healthy by regulating blood sugar levels and fighting off the damage caused by free radicals. Free radicals can damage cells, which can lead to cancer and other diseases.
What are the best apples to use for apple pie?
You can choose from various types of apples when baking an apple pie, such as Granny Smith, Jonagold, Honeycrisp, or Braeburn.
When looking for the best apples, pick firm fruits with full red color; it’s wise to avoid over-ripened apples with brown spots.
If you only want to use half of an apple, leave the skin on and cut around the core with the seeds; discard the core after cutting out all of the fruit.
How long can you store cooked apples?
Cooked apples last about 3 days in the fridge after preparing them. The nutritional value and taste change after that time.
Should apples be refrigerated?
Yes, you should store apples in your refrigerator if you plan to keep them fresh for a longer time – up to 2 months. But you should take all the necessary precautions, like keeping them in a pierced plastic bag, wrapping each apple in a damp paper towel, and keeping them away from other fruits or veggies.
Why are apples bad for you?
Although the health benefits of apples trump the downsides, you should know that eating raw apples before a meal may slow down sugar absorption into your bloodstream since it can reduce or prevent spikes in blood sugar after eating.
Furthermore, eating too many apples may cause gastrointestinal issues due to the high amounts of sugar.
Which apple is the healthiest?
Although are types of apples are healthy, the Granny Smith variety contains the highest amount of antioxidants. Plus, it has lower sugar content, and a study demonstrated how Granny Smith apples lower inflammation. In general, green apples are healthier than red ones.
How to store apple pie?
Keep the apple pie in an airtight container at room temperature or in the fridge. Make sure that you wrap it well if you plan to store it in the fridge, and use aluminum foil for this purpose.
How to store caramel apples?
If you have recently bought or baked caramel apples, you can keep them fresh by storing them in an airtight container. It’s also a good idea to add powdered sugar on top. And make sure to refrigerate them.
How to store sliced apples?
Sprinkle lemon juice on the sliced apples to slow down the browning process. Then wrap each slice in plastic wrap before putting it in the fridge.
Final Thoughts on Storing Apples
To sum up, if you want to keep your apples fresh as long as possible, it’s best to follow the correct storage techniques, whether you have a small or large batch of these fruits.
Although it’s possible to keep the apples on the counter at room temperature, they won’t last long. Instead, it’s best to them in a cool or dry place like a cellar or fridge. For long-term storage, consider freezing or dehydrating the apples.
What are your favorite tips and tricks for storing apples? Let us know in the comment section below.