Everyone will love these hot dogs loaded with crispy onion fries! I’m pretty sure my kids could eat hot dogs every single day of the year. One hot dog, one roll and a good squirt of ketchup = complete satisfaction.
These hot dogs however are on a whole new level. Crispy fried seasoned onions, sliced fresh jalapenos and a sprinkling of scallions. This is a hot dog for grown ups!
In fairness, the kids absolutely adore them too – but minus the jalapenos.
I like to marinate the onions in buttermilk beforehand. I do this for two reasons:
- It makes the onions lovely and tender – so they’re crispy on the outside (once fried) and soft in the middle
- It helps the seasoned flour to stick to the onion rings, giving a thicker coating. Without it, the flour mixture would just slip off.
If you don’t have any buttermilk, simply replace with with 1/2 cup of milk, mixed with 1 tbsp lemon juice. It will thicken, and it may separate slightly, but it works really well for a recipe like this.
Serve the hotdogs with fries, or extra fried onions. The perfect way to ‘posh-up’ your hot dog!
Here’s what you’ll need for hot dogs loaded with crispy onion fries:
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- vegetable oil for deep frying (2 cups should be enough)
- 4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- pinch of salt
- 4 hot dog sausages
- 4 hot dog brioche rolls
- yellow mustard
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- 3 scallions, chopped
Step by step instructions:
- Place the onion in a bowl with the buttermilk. Stir and marinate for 30 minutes. Heat the oil in a deep pan, then place the flour, paprika, garlic salt, pepper and salt into a small bowl. Scoop the onions out of the buttermilk and allow any excess to drip off. Transfer the onions to the flour mixture and toss together.
- Once the oil is shimmering hot, place one third of the onions in the oil. You may need to seperate the onion slices with your hands before putting in the pan as they can stick together. Cook for 2-3 minutes until golden brown, then remove with a slotted spoon and drain on some kitchen paper. Repeat until you’ve cooked all of the onions.
- Heat a griddle or skillet and brush with oil. Cook the hot dog sausages for 5-6 minutes, turning a few times during cooking, until hot throughout.
- Now it’s time to assemble. Slice open a brioche roll and place the cooked hot dog inside. Top with ketchup and mustard, then sprinkle the crispy onions on top. Scatter on the jalapenos and scallions. Repeat with the other three hotdogs and serve immediately!