This Hot Chocolate Trifle is a triple layer dessert with all the flavors of hot chocolate. It starts with a hot chocolate mousse, then gets layers with some chocolate brownies for dunking, and gets topped off with a whipped cream topping – just like your favorite hot chocolate.
Let’s jump right in. The first layer of our Hot Chocolate Trifle is a hot chocolate mousse. This mousse is light and airy. It is packed with chocolate flavor, and it is made with only 2 simple ingredients!
This dairy-free mousse is made with melted chocolate and aquafaba. Have you heard of aquafaba? It is the liquid from a can of chickpeas that usually gets washed down the drain. It can be whipped up like egg whites and creates the most luscious mousse texture.
Once your aquafaba is whipped, you just drizzle in some melted and cooled chocolate and fold it together. Just place it in the fridge to chill and your first layer is done.
The next layer is a fudgy brownie. Dunking a cookie into hot chocolate is one of the best desserts ever. So, naturally, we needed a cookie type of layer here. To keep things deeply chocolaty, we went with a brownie instead of a cookie. These brownies are so moist and fudgy, and are also gluten and dairy free!
The final layer in our Hot Chocolate Trifle is the whipped cream – or in this case whipped coconut cream. This dairy-free version of whipped cream is fluffy and creamy, but safe for those with a dairy allergy.
To make this topping, you need full-fat coconut cream from a can. Place the cans upside down in the refrigerator overnight. The next day, remove them from the fridge, flip them right-side up, and open the cans. Pour off the coconut water and add the thick coconut cream to a bowl. This is the stuff we need to make our whipped topping.
Using an electric hand mixer, beat the cream until it is light and fluffy. Add in powdered sugar to achieve your desired sweetness level and get ready to dollop this onto your Hot Chocolate Trifle.
For the Hot Chocolate Mousse:
- 1 cup aquafaba
- 1 cup chopped chocolate
- Pinch cream of tartar
For the Brownies:
- ¾ cup cassava flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup chopped chocolate, melted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Whipped Topping:
- 2 cans full-fat coconut milk, chilled in the fridge overnight
- 2-4 tablespoons powdered sugar
For the Mousse:
1. Add the chopped chocolate to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave at 50 percent power for one minute. Stir and repeat until the chocolate is melted. Set aside to cool.
2. Add the aquafaba to a bowl along with a pinch of cream of tarter. Use an electric hand mixer to whip the aquafaba until it reaches the soft peak stage.
3. Add in 1/3 of the melted chocolate and fold to combine. Add in the second third and fold. Finally, fold in the remaining chocolate. Place in the refrigerator to chill for 4 hours.
For the Brownies:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the cassava powder, cocoa powder, and salt.
3. In another microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate using the same method as for the mousse. Add in the maple syrup, sugar, oil, and vanilla and stir to combine.
4. Pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir to combine.
5. Transfer the batter to a greased 8×8 baking pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the brownies are cooked through. Set aside.
To make the Whipped Topping:
1. Remove the coconut milk cans from the refrigerator. Flip the cans upside down and open them. Pour off the coconut water and scoop the dense cream into a bowl. Using an electric hand mixer, beat the coconut cream until it is fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add in powdered sugar to taste.
1. Grab one large trifle bowl or four smaller serving dishes. Start with a layer of the hot chocolate mousse. Slice the brownies into bite-sized pieces and spread them across the mousse. Top with coconut whipped cream and serve.
This Hot Chocolate Trifle recipe is an impressive triple-layer dessert. It includes all our favorite hot chocolate flavors from the hot chocolate mousse, to the fudgy brownies, and the sweet whipped topping. It’s like eating your favorite holiday drink!