A DIY Christmas paper roll ornament is a great way to personalize the Christmas tree and keep the kids busy with a simple crafting project. Read on to discover how to make a Christmas paper roll ornament from scratch for your holiday décor.
Paper roll is often used in Christmas ornaments because it’s a readily available and inexpensive material that lends an appealing texture to decorations. The material is easy to manipulate and lightweight, so it will not add any extra train to a Christmas tree when hanging paper roll decorations along the branches.
This article describes the supplies, step-by-step instructions with images, a video tutorial, and additional tips and tricks for making a DIY Christmas paper roll ornament.
Supplies for the DIY Christmas paper roll ornament
- A paper roll
- Red acrylic paint
- Silk ribbon
- A hot glue gun with glue
- One rhinestone
- Five half beads
How do I craft the Christmas paper roll ornament?
- Make large paper roll rings: Cut the paper roll into ten 1-inch-thick large rings and flatten them.
- Paint the rings: Coat the cardboard rings with red acrylic paint on the inside and outside, allowing them to dry. Apply another coat of paint if you don’t like the initial results, and let the rings dry again.
- Make small paper roll rings: Cut five painted rings in half and glue them at the ends to create ten smaller rings. Flatten the rings like in the first step.
- Assemble the ornament: Glue five large rings together to form a star shape, ensuring the star’s points face outward. Next, place five smaller rings inside the large ones and glue them to the star’s center. Shift your attention to the last five smaller rings, add them between the gaps created by the large rings, and glue the small rings in place.
- Decorate the ornament: Glue the rhinestone and half beads to the star ornament.
- Finish the decoration: Cut a silk ribbon long enough to act as a hanger, run it through the star ornament, and tie it into a knot.
Check out this video guide to get a better understanding of our process for making a DIY Christmas paper roll ornament:
Tips and tricks
Check out additional tips and tricks for personalizing this DIY Christmas paper roll ornament:
- Use more colors: Try other festive colors to paint this star ornament, such as light blue, silver, or gold. Or paint each component in a unique color to create a funky star ornament.
- Add more sparkle: Decorate the star ornament with more rhinestones or beads, or introduce new decorations such as glitter or sequins, depending on what you already have in your stockpiles of crafting materials.
- Pick a different shape: Experiment with more shapes and designs. For example, craft a snowflake, heart, or a bunch of circles instead of a five-point star. Even better, craft several paper roll ornaments with different shapes.
We hope you enjoyed our article on how to craft a charming DIY Christmas paper roll ornament using simple supplies. As you can see, the project is fairly simple and requires a few materials that you can easily find at most craft stores. Plus, it’s a great way to upcycle paper rolls. Check out more ideas for paper Christmas ornaments.