When it comes to cakes that even the smallest kids can eat, that’s a carrot cake. Of course, you may need to make some adjustments if you want to lower the sugar intake, but that’s another story. One thing we’re interested in is whether or not we can freeze carrot cake.
Carrot cake is absolutely delicious and it’s easy to see why it’s a favorite of so many. Freezing it would allow us to make a few more in advance so we have more of it to enjoy.
Can You Freeze Carrot Cake?
If you’re a fan of carrot cake, then getting to the bottom of whether or not we can freeze carrot cake must be a priority. One of our readers sent us a message regarding this particular issue!
I’ve been asked to make my famous carrot cake for our family picnic next weekend, but I am busy all week and won’t have time to bake it before the picnic. I don’t want to let everyone down since it’s a tradition that I’ve kept up every year. I
have some free time this weekend and am thinking about making the cake in advance. I am thinking of freezing the cake and then thawing it for the picnic. I don’t want the cake to dry out or the icing to taste funny. Can you freeze carrot cake?
Yes, you can freeze carrot cake. It’s not uncommon to see frozen carrot cakes on supermarket shelves, and you too can bake and freeze a carrot cake in advance without any problem.
The moistness of the cake shouldn’t be affected if the cake is wrapped and stored properly. As for the icing, you can either freeze the cake already frosted or put on the icing after thawing. Your call.
How to Freeze Carrot Cake?
To freeze the carrot cake, you need to go through a few steps:
- First, bake the cake according to your famous recipe.
- Then, allow the cake to cool completely. This part is very important, because if the cake is still warm when you put it in the freezer it will go mushy and sticky after thawing. Allow the cake to cool very thoroughly first.
To freeze the carrot cake without icing
- Wrap the cake tightly in a double layer of plastic wrap, and then again in another layer of aluminum foil.
- Place in the freezer where it will not get squished.
- You can also place it in a specially designed cake box that will keep the cake protected.
To freeze the carrot cake already iced
- Pace the unwrapped cake with icing in the freezer for about an hour, or until the icing hardens.
- Then, wrap the cake in plastic wrap followed by a layer of aluminum foil, or place in a cake box.
How to Thaw Carrot Cake?
When you want to eat your carrot cake, you can go through the steps to thaw it out.
If you froze your carrot cake without icing
- To thaw, simply remove from the freezer and allow to thaw at room temperature for several hours or until thawed completely.
- Ice the cake using your preferred frosting.
If you froze your carrot cake with icing
- To thaw, remove the foil and the plastic wrap after taking the cake out of the freezer so the icing doesn’t cling to it once thawed.
- Allow the cake to thaw on the counter for several hours or overnight until thawed completely.
Previously frozen carrot cake should be eaten within 2-3 days for optimum freshness.
Carrot Cake Recipe
When it comes to making your own carrot cake we have a recipe that’s absolutely delicious – carrot cake with cashew cream cheese frosting.
Ingredients for the cake:
- 2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup dried unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup pitted dates, packed
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
Ingredients for the frosting:
- 1 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup coconut butter (melted by placing the closed jar in a bowl of very hot water)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
Ingredients for decoration (optional):
- Goji berries
- Chopped pistachios
- Cacao nibs
- Pumpkin seeds
- Dried coconut
Now that you have the whole list of ingredients you’ll need, visit our recipe page to get all the instructions so you can make your own delicious carrot cake.