Smoked salmon is absolutely delicious. Mixing it up in salads or having a simple slice on a piece of toast with a bit of butter and some lemon zest on top is the best way to start the day. However, smoked salmon can also be frozen so it keeps for longer.
Will freezing the smoked salmon work for you? Well, you have to check the label on the packaging and follow the instructions.
Can You Freeze Smoked Salmon?
It is important to observe some rules for the successful freezing of smoked salmon.
- The appearance of the fish is an important factor because its texture must remain soft and mellow.
- It must have a pure and homogeneous color.
- The edge of the edge must be the same color as the inside.
- In addition, choose larger slices with fewer ribs. Indeed, it is not recommended to choose a salmon with white fibers because it is so fat, which does not favor its freezing.
- For a prepackaged product, prefer an expiry date as far as possible. The packaging must not be soft.
- In addition, it must indicate certain mentions to guarantee the quality of the product. These are the conditions of smoking, slicing, and salting.
- The fish should have a shiny, non-greasy appearance. If it is greasy, it will find the presence of oil fillets in its packaging, also perspiration indicates that it has been poorly preserved.
How to Freeze Smoked Salmon?
When choosing a smoked salmon, make sure the product has not been frozen. The packaging must indicate this mention if it is not in the instructions for use.
How the Salmon Was Smoked
It is also important to know how it was smoked. The latter is carried out in various ways, smoked and sterilized, smoked hot or cold.
Cold smoking is easily perishable
- The fish must therefore be kept in the freezer.
- It keeps its appearance raw and wet, and it is this type of smoking that the majority of the production of smoked salmon uses.
- It is exposed directly to smoke from a wood-burning fire at about 30° C.
Smoked hot and sterilized
- After smoking it is packed and sterilized.
- Its heat treatment destroys all bacteria, so its flesh is firm and compact.
- It must then be kept in its packaging, which remains intact for freezing.
Slicing Mode of the Smoked Salmon
If it has been operated manually, the slices are homogeneous whereas mechanical slicing is often done on frozen fish.This does not guarantee the quality of the product, in which case freezing is not recommended.
Smoked salmon purchased in vacuum packaging is normally stored in the range between 0° C and 4° C. Its packaging already protects it from drying out because the water is expelled during its maturation. So you must take care not to break the cold chain by transporting the product in an insulated bag and freeze it immediately.
Freezing Smoked Salmon
Therefore, here’s the rundown on how to freeze your smoked salmon:
- Cold smoked salmon must be kept in the freezer in initial packaging as it is easily perishable.
- Smoked hot salmon must be frozen in the initial packaging.
- Manually sliced smoked salmon can be frozen, but mechanical sliced salmon should not, as it was likely frozen beforehand.
How to Keep Smoked Salmon for Longer
For opened packages of smoked salmon, it is advisable that you place them in a new container, whether a freezer bag or container. Also, using a vacuum sealer will work to take out the air and offer a better protection to your smoked salmon.
We have a long list of great vacuum sealers you can try out, but our favorite is the FoodSaver V4840 2-in-1 Vacuum Sealer Machine. This one works with freezer bags and containers of different sizes, so it can help you freeze smaller portions or whole dishes.
How to Thaw Smoked Salmon
Thawing is done by placing the product in the refrigerator 24 hours in advance. As a precaution against bacteria, pierce your packaging.
This is not necessary if it is thawed in cold water. It is strongly recommended to use it immediately and not to refreeze. The rest of the cold-smoked products must be consumed within 3 days because dangerous bacteria can develop.
You should try out your smoked salmon in a delicious salad. You can get our recipe for a Greek-style salmon salad and enjoy a light lunch.