How to make eggnog with Rum and Ginger – a traditional festive drink with a bit of a twist! Bring on the Christmas spirit – preferably in the form of rum!
Eggnog – doesn’t it immediately make you feel festive? I know it does for me.
I’m already imagining myself with a large glass of this spicy eggnog in one hand and a smoked salmon blini in the other. Bliss!
Although it takes a little bit of effort (and a good whisk) to prepare, it’s so worth it.
Most versions use brandy, rum or bourbon (sometimes all three!), this recipe is made with spiced rum to give it a warming feel.
I also steep fresh ginger (along with other spices) in milk and cream. I think the ginger and spiced rum flavors work so well together.
You can make the eggnog up to a day ahead – right up to the step before you whisk the egg whites.
Stir in the whisked egg whites right before serving for a light, fluffy finish.
What spin would you give to your eggnog? We’d love to hear! Tweet us @DIYs.
Note – this drink contains raw eggs
Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade eggnog:
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 inch piece of ginger, sliced (no need to peel)
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon dried nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup soft brown sugar
- 1/2 cup spiced rum
- Vanilla pods for decoration (optional)
Step by step preparation :
- Add the milk, cream, cinnamon sticks, ginger, vanilla extract, nutmeg and ground ginger to a saucepan. Heat on a medium heat until just bubbling, then turn off the heat and leave to cool to room temperature. Once cool, spoon out and discard the cinnamon sticks and ginger.
- Place the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl or stand mixer. Whisk for 1-2 minutes until creamy. Slowly pour in the infused milk, whilst stirring with a whisk. Stir in the spiced rum.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Add the egg whites to the bowl with the milk mixture. Gently fold in in a figure of eight until combined.
- Serve with vanilla pods for decoration.