This roasted carrot hummus is packed with the sweet flavors of roasted carrots and the earthiness of ground cumin. It is a perfect snack to keep in the fridge all week long. Hummus is a constant staple in my house. When the 3pm snack attach hits, hummus. A healthy spread for sandwiches, hummus. Out of salad dressing, you guessed it, hummus to the rescue.
And this roasted carrot hummus is full of rich flavors. Roasted carrots add a delicate sweetness while cumin and paprika add just enough earthiness to make things interesting. Fresh lemon steps in to brighten the dip up. The flavor goes well with just about anything.
Homemade hummus might sound intimidating, but don’t be fooled. You can do this.
All you need is blender or a food processor and you are halfway there. Add in all the ingredients and blend until silky smooth. This roasted carrot hummus recipe is even easier than most to make at home. The carrots and high tahini help to give it the silky texture of store bought hummus with less effort. The carrots add water contend and starch for easy blending, while the tahini adds healthy fat for buttery smoothness.
And this bright orange dip is packing in nutrients:
Cumin is a major flavoring agent throughout this roasted carrot hummus recipe. We season the carrots and chips with this spice, and then we add some into the hummus to reinforce the flavor. And with cumin’s earthy and deep flavor, comes health benefits. Cumin is a fantastic source or iron, which can boost energy. It also aids digestion by making the nutrients in food easier absorbed by the body. And the more nutrients we can get from our food, the healthier we will be.
Sesame seeds, which are used to make tahini, give our hummus a rich and creamy texture. They are also packed with minerals and can help lower cholesterol. These tiny seeds can also balance our hormones and have been shown to relieve Rheumatoid Arthritis. Who knew so much power could come in such a tiny package.
Then, for the cherry on top of this smooth and creamy dip, we make some healthy homemade tortilla chips. These chips are ideal for whenever you have extra tortillas on hand, and they are easier to make than you might think! Just slice your tortillas, season them for an extra gourmet touch, and bake until crispy.
Ingredients for the roasted carrot hummus recipe:
For the roasted carrots:
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or oil of choice)
- 7 medium carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
For the hummus:
- 3/4 cup dry garbanzo beans, soaked overnight (or 1 1/2 cups cooked)
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
For the chips:
- 10 corn tortillas
- Coconut oil spray
- Dash of garlic powder
- Dash of salt
- Dash of paprika
- Dash of cumin
Directions to make the roasted carrot hummus:
- Drain your soaked garbanzo beans and add them to a large pot. Cover with water and simmer until tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- While the beans are cooking, preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Spread the carrots out on a sheet tray. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with the spices. Toss to coat the carrots evenly.
- Bake the carrots until very tender and easily poked with a fort, about 2 minutes. This will vary depending on the size of your carrots. Cut the carrots into 1 inch lengths.
- While the carrots are cooking, cut the tortillas into wedges. Spray one side with coconut oil, then sprinkle on the spices. Turn over and repeat.
- Add to the oven and bake until crispy, 10-15 minutes.
- Once the carrots are cooked, chop them into 1-inch pieces and add them to the blender. Drain the cooked garbanzo beans and add them to the blender as well. Add in the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Place into a bowl and drizzle with olive oil and top with extra smoked paprika. Serve with homemade chips.
With just a few pantry staples and a handful of easy steps, you too can be enjoying this roasted carrot hummus in under an hour. Serve it at parties, have it for lunch, and enjoy it as a quick and easy snack.