Biting into one of these healthy apple muffins with spiced crumble recipe is a taste of fall! These gluten-free muffins are a triple threat of flavor! It all starts with our muffin base. Our recipe for apple muffins with spiced crumble wouldn’t be a thing without the perfect apple flavored muffin. This muffin is gluten-free, sweetened with natural sweeteners, and full of apple flavor. It is light and fluffy and the perfect compliment to a cup of coffee.
Next, we take our perfect muffin base, and smother it in spiced crumble. This crumble is flavored with the best fall spices to add a big punch of flavor. It bakes to perfect melt-in-your-mouth, yet crisp, perfection.
To take these healthy apple muffins with spiced crumble over the top, we glaze them with a spice glaze made from maple syrup, honey, and pie spices. It looks good and boosts the spice flavor for the perfect Fall treat.
A lot of muffins are just cupcakes in disguise, but these apple muffins with spiced crumble are actually healthy!
In place of butter, this recipe calls for coconut oil. Coconut oil can actually help promote weight loss, thanks to its short-chain fatty acids. It is also protective for the liver, improves digestion, and boosts kidney health.
Dates are an easy and flavor-packed substitute for refined sugar. They add a caramel-like sweetness to our apple muffins with spiced crumble and pack in plenty of health benefits. Dates can boost digestion, strengthen our bones, reduce inflammation, and promote a healthy pregnancy.
The best way to make these muffins is with a high-speed blender. You want to blend together all of the wet ingredients, including the dates until the mixture is smooth as butter. Through the blending process, the dates will get broken down into a paste, allowing them to soak into the batter and infuse the muffins with their sweet caramel flavor.
Ingredients to make the healthy apple muffins with spiced crumble recipe:
- 1 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup packed pitted dates
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups gluten free oat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the crumble:
- 3/4 cup gluten free oat flour
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 6 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons pie spice
For the glaze:
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons pie spice
Directions to make the apple muffins with spiced crumble:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-count muffin tin with liners and set aside.
- Add all the wet ingredients into a high speed blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet and stir to combine.
- To make the crumble, whisk together all of the ingredients except the coconut oil. Add in the coconut oil and use your fingers to “pinch” the coconut oil into the flour, until it is evenly incorporated and clumps form.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin.
- Top with crumble and bake for 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the muffins comes out clean. Transfer the muffins to a rack to cool. Stir together all of the glaze ingredients, and drizzle the glaze on top. Serve.
These healthy muffins recipe – with their muffin base, crumble topping, and sweet glaze – are layers and layers of Fall flavor. Good thing they are healthy because you’ll be reaching for one all day long.