High-quality beauty products are costly, but homemade recipes like a DIY face scrub are cheap and easy. Read on to learn the step-by-step instructions for a homemade face scrub.
A face scrub is a skincare product that exfoliates the skin to encourage cell regeneration. Compared to a store-bought face scrub, a homemade face scrub is economical since it can be made using common pantry ingredients, like granulated sugar and coconut oil, which have several benefits. For example, sugar scrubs are gentler and less abrasive than salt scrubs when exfoliating the skin since they have smaller particles. Coconut oil is a rich source of vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant that nourishes the skin and protects it from damaged caused by free radicals.
This article describes the supplies and instructions for making a grapefruit-scented face scrub for sensitive skin, leaving your face feeling refreshed and radiant. We have also included a video tutorial for the recipe, together with storage and usage tips.
Supplies for a jar of DIY face scrub
- A mason jar with an airtight lid prevents the natural ingredients from spoiling too quickly and helps preserve the essential oil scent.
- ¼ granulated sugar helps cleanse the skin, remove makeup, open pores and encourage cell regeneration, thanks to the sugar crystals that serve as an exfoliant.
- ½ coconut oil hydrates and nourishes the skin and has anti-inflammatory properties.
- 1 tablespoon of lemon zest (optional) adds a refreshing, citrusy scent.
- 1-2 drops of grapefruit essential oil (optional) add a pleasant scent and cleanse the skin thanks to the fruit’s astringent properties.
- 3-4 drops of red food coloring (optional) to match the grapefruit color.
- A small bowl and a whisk for mixing all ingredients.
- A spoon for transferring the face scrub to the jar.
How do I make DIY face scrub?
- Mix the essential ingredients: Add granulated sugar and coconut oil to the small bowl and whisk until the mixture looks like wet sand. If you are not pleased with the consistency, add more coconut oil to make the scrub thinner or more sugar to make it thicker.
- Add the optional ingredients: Add food coloring and mix until the color is evenly distributed. The scrub should have a light shade of pink. Then add the lemon zest, stir well to combine, add the grapefruit essential oil, and mix thoroughly.
- Store the scrub: Transfer the face scrub from the bowl to the mason jar using the spoon.
How to store and use the DIY face scrub
Store the homemade face scrub in a cool, dark place for 1-2 months.
To use the DIY face scrub, wet your face, apply the scrub in circular motions using your fingers, and rinse with lukewarm water. Apply the scrub once a week; more often than that might damage your skin.
Check out the video tutorial below to get a better understanding of the steps involved in making this face scrub:
Making your own face scrub from the ground up is satisfying, and you have complete control over the ingredients and consistency. Add it to your skincare routine and consider making several jars of this face scrub to gift to your family and friends.
Check out these homemade face scrubs to explore additional recipes for DIY skincare products.
How would you improve this DIY face scrub? Share your thoughts below!