How to Store Avocado: Tips and Tricks for Making Avocados Last Longer
The perfect fruit for any meal, avocado can be a challenge to store. Follow our tips and you’ll have this delicious treat around for days!
Avocados are known as a superfood for good reason! They are full of potassium, iron, and healthy fats. Besides, you can use them in a variety of dishes and safely include these extraordinary fruits in your diet. It’s an easy way to add flavor to your meals without worrying about calories or fat.
However, many people have issues with storing avocados the right way. If the fruit is not yet ripe, you have to wait for a long time before you can consume it. If it’s too ripe, it doesn’t taste as good.
Keep reading to find out the best tips and tricks for storing avocados the right way. Before that step, though, learn more information about the nutritional values and how to tell when an avocado is ripe.
Avocado 101: What You Need to Know About this Superfood
Avocado is a fruit that belongs to the berry family. It’s native to Mexico, Central America, and South America. The fruit is not grown commercially in the United States.
Avocado trees can grow up to 80 feet (25 m) tall, and it takes 18 to 20 months for them to mature. When you’re in the store or market, it’s important to pick an avocado that is slightly firm yet gives in a little when pressed.
A medium-sized avocado provides 47 calories, 3 grams of protein, 3 grams of fiber, and nearly 20 vitamins such as A, B6, C, and E. As a result, it helps to promote weight loss and improve heart health.
It also contains minerals like potassium and magnesium. Additionally, avocados are a rich source of beta-sitosterol, lutein, and zeaxanthin.
Furthermore, an avocado has monounsaturated fatty acids, which have been shown to reduce LDL cholesterol levels in the bloodstream. It’s an excellent way to replace saturated fat found in meat or dairy products.
The calorie content for 100g of avocado is 160 calories. If you’re wondering how much avocado you should eat daily, it’s about 150 grams. And yes, avocados are good for you!
How to Tell if an Avocado Is Ripe
There are two surefire ways to tell if an avocado is ripe:
- A quick way is to press on the fruit gently with your thumb – if the flesh feels soft and gives way, it’s ripe.
- The longer, more accurate way is to check the fruit by holding it in your hand; if you see any discoloration (usually darkening at the stem end), then pick another one. If not, leave it on the counter until ready to use.
How to Store Avocado
If you’re wondering how to keep avocado fresh for a longer period of time, check out the following tips:
- When you’re ready to eat it, make sure to use the avocado within 48 hours. If stored correctly, avocados will remain fresh and won’t lose their flavor.
- Keep avocados away from heat, light, and air.
- Prolong the lifespan of these healthy fruits by keeping avocados in water. You can also wrap them tightly with plastic wraps and put them inside the fridge compartment.
- Avoid squashing the fruit until you’re ready to use it. Otherwise, the flesh will be discolored.
- To keep an avocado fresh in the fridge, do not wash the fruit until ripe.
- If you’re not planning on eating the fruit for a few days, wrap plastic tightly around each half to keep it fresh.
- If you have already peeled the avocado, sprinkle the flesh with lemon or lime juice. Then you can move the avocado in an airtight container and put it in the fridge. This helps prevent oxidizing and turning brown.
- It’s best to remove the seed after scooping out the pulp with a spoon so that it doesn’t turn brown prematurely.
- If the avocado is mashed, move it to a glass container and cover it with plastic wrap before storing the container in the fridge.
- For long-term usage, consider freezing avocados, whether they are mashed, sliced, halved, or whole.
- Wrap an avocado in a paper towel, put it in a resealable plastic bag, and freeze it for up to 2 months. Once it’s ready to use, just let it thaw at room temperature for 1 hour or leave it in the refrigerator overnight.
- Place avocado halves cut side down on a baking sheet and freeze for 1 hour. Then you can put them in resealable plastic bags and freeze them for up to 3 months.
How to Store Half an Avocado
When you have half an avocado that you don’t need for a meal, place the unused portion in an airtight container and keep it inside the fridge. This way, it can stay fresh for up to 2 days.
However, make sure to place the avocado in the container right after cutting it open. Another good idea is to sprinkle the avocado with lemon or lime juice; the acidity in citrus is a natural preservative that slows down browning.
How to Store Cut Avocado
- Take out the seed and place the pulp over a bowl, then cover it with plastic wrap. Store the wrapped avocado in an airtight container inside the fridge.
- Another good idea is to add a sliced onion to the container to help maintain the freshness of the fruit for a longer time. The downside is that the avocado is likely to absorb the onion flavor, so you should try this method when planning a meal that includes onions, like guacamole.
- If you prefer to move avocado halves into a single container after cutting, make sure they are not touching each other. For instance, you can spread them out inside the cool drawer of the fridge.
- Never store cut avocado near tomatoes or other fruits that also emit ethylene gas, as it can speed up decay. Bananas and apples are bad companions for avocados because they both emit ethylene at different rates, which will cause them to ripen more quickly than usual.
How to Store Avocado in Water
Here are some tips for easily storing avocado in water:
- Cut the avocado lengthwise around the seed and twist it apart.
- Twist the seed out and discard it.
- Place each avocado half in a bowl with ¼ cup water.
- Cover with plastic wrap and store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
It’s best to change the water every 2 hours. While doing so, be sure to use cool water instead of cold water as it can be too much for the avocado.
The water used to store the avocado is also good for watering your plants and making ice cubes to add a fruity flavor to your drinks.
Learn more information about this fruit and how to preserve avocado:
Can dogs eat avocado?
Yes, dogs can eat avocado. It’s a source of healthy fats and nutrients that can benefit your pet’s health. However, you should only give your dog a small amount of avocado at a time and make sure it doesn’t have any allergies to the fruit.
Is avocado good for diabetics?
At most, ¼ of an avocado counts as a serving for diabetics. It’s low in carbs and calories but very high in fiber and other beneficial nutrients like vitamins and healthy fats. So you should include it in your diabetic diet plan.
Can you eat brown avocado?
Yes, if an avocado is brown inside, it’s not bad or rotten. The growing happens naturally as avocados mature and ripen on trees before being harvested. It can also happen after you buy avocados from the store if they were not stored properly due to air exposure.
What can you make with avocado besides guacamole?
You can use avocado to make smoothies, dips, appetizers, soups, salads, and main courses. Just pick the best recipes online or look for them in cooking books.
Can I eat the pit or seed of an avocado?
Yes, it’s possible to eat the seed of an avocado. But it’s necessary to dry, chop and blend it first.
How long do avocados last?
Generally speaking, unripe avocados can last up to 2 weeks, while ripe ones should be consumed within 5 days. Ripe or unripe avocados have a shelf life of about 7 to 10 days when kept at room temperature.
How many calories are in an avocado?
One cup (150g) of avocado slices contains about 160 calories. If you’re wondering how many carbs are in an avocado, it’s 13.5g for one cup.
How to ripen avocados?
To speed up ripening, place avocados in a brown paper bag and store them at room temperature. If you plan to use them in a few days, you can move them to the fridge. However, if they have already ripened, it’s best to eat them as soon as possible.
How to soften avocado?
You can soften avocado by cutting it in half and letting it sit in the sun for a few days. Or you can also put unripe avocados in a brown paper bag, add an apple or banana, and keep it stored for 2 or 3 days. If you want to speed up the process, put them in a bowl and cover them with plastic wrap.
How to make avocado toast?
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit (120 degrees Celsius).
- Spread pit removed bread slices on a baking sheet.
- Cut avocado in half and spoon out the flesh.
- Season with salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, lime juice, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Or try a sprinkle of hemp hearts, chia, or flax seeds for extra fiber and protein!
How to cut an avocado?
- Cut the avocado lengthwise around the seed and twist it apart.
- Twist the seed out and discard it.
- Slice or cube ripe avocados.
- Use a spoon to scoop the flesh out of the skin and place it in a bowl. Or slice ripe avocados with a fork.
Can you freeze avocados?
Yes, you can freeze avocados. However, they turn brown and mushy when defrosted, so you should use them in smoothies, dips, soups, salads, and main courses instead of eating them plain.
How to grow avocado?
Growing avocado in a pot is possible, but it requires a lot of care and attention. For best results, plant avocado seeds in spring or summer in a large pot with well-drained soil. Put the pot in full sun and make sure it has good drainage to avoid root rot.
Can cats eat avocado?
While avocado is safe for cats in moderation, it shouldn’t make up more than 5% of their daily diet. The rest should be protein-rich food like meat, poultry, fish, eggs, and dairy.
What does avocado taste like?
Avocado has a rich nutty flavor that goes well with low-fat foods like salads, sandwiches, and chicken.
Is avocado oil good for you?
Yes, you can use avocado oil instead of other types of cooking oils. It’s rich in healthy monounsaturated fats and contains an antioxidant compound called phenols.
Can chickens eat avocado?
Yes, chickens can eat avocado. It will provide them with healthy fats and proteins while also keeping their skin and feathers nice and shiny.
Can guinea pigs eat avocado?
Yes, guinea pigs can eat avocado. Make sure you don’t offer them the pit or skin and only give them a small slice each day. You can also blend avocado with other vegetables and fruits to create a healthy guinea pig mix.
How to ripen an avocado in the microwave?
- Cut the avocado in half and take out the seed.
- Put the halves on a paper towel and microwave for 10 seconds.
- Check if the avocado is ripe. Otherwise, microwave for 10 more seconds.
- Let the avocado cool down and check again.
Are avocados keto?
Yes, avocados are keto and low-carb.
Is avocado good for your hair?
Yes, you can use avocados to make hair masks for dry and damaged hair. They are rich in vitamins A, B, E, and K that can promote hair growth, reduce split ends, and add shine to your locks.
Final Thoughts on Avocado Storage
The best way to prevent your avocado from going bad is by storing it correctly. If you live in a warm and humid climate, you should eat or use ripe avocados within 1 or 2 days after purchase. Otherwise, follow our tips and tricks above to safely store your avocados on the long term.
What are your best tips for storing avocados? Share them with us in the comment section below!