I love serving fruit on my oatmeal – usually in the form of fresh and dried berries, but sometimes I like to go with something a little bit different, like this tropical oatmeal. Bananas and pineapple dusted in brown sugar and caramelized until golden and lightly charred – just give me a bowl of that with some ice cream and I’m happy! Served on warm oatmeal (made with coconut milk to keep to the tropical theme) however, it really is the best breakfast oatmeal for a healthy morning.
I also like to throw on a few pomegranate seeds – for a fresh flavour and lovely colour, and some toasted coconut for a little bit of crunch!
Some other breakfast oatmeal recipe variations could include:
- Chopped nuts (you can make the oatmeal with nut milk too if you like)
- Finely diced fresh mango
- Caramelised figs
It might just be your new weekend breakfast!
Healthy oatmeal breakfast (INGREDIENTS)
- 1 cup whole rolled oats
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk (the kind you can buy in a carton, not the canned type)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 bananas
- 1 1/2 cups diced pineapple
- 3 heaped tbsps soft brown sugar
- Seeds from half a pomegranate
- 3 heaped tbsp toasted coconut (you can buy it ready-toasted or toast it yourself in a dry skillet)
- Honey or maple syrup for drizzling
How To make the Breakfast Oatmeal – Step By Step Guide
- Add the rolled oats, coconut milk and vanilla extract to a medium saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil, then simmer, stirring regularly for 5-6 minutes until the oats have softened and the mixture is thick (add more milk if you like it a little thinner). Turn off the heat.
- Whilst the oats are cooking, slice the bananas on a chopping board and place the pineapple on the board too. Dredge in the brown sugar.
- Heat a large skillet on a medium-to-high heat, and add the pineapple and banana (you may need to do this in two batches if your pan isn’t big enough). Cook, turning once, until the fruit is browned and caramelized . The banana takes slightly less time than the pineapple, so remove that from the pan first and place on a plate, then remove the pineapple.
- Divide the oatmeal between 3 or 4 bowls and top with the pineapple, banana, pomegranate seeds and toasted coconut.
- Serve with honey or maple syrup.