A healthy green smoothie – made more inviting by the addition of peppermint and chocolate chips. Personally, I drink a lot of green smoothies. I like experimenting with ingredients as I find regular green smoothies can get a little boring.
A few of my favorite variations include:
- Hot smoothies – My specialities being an oaty hot chocolate smoothie and a mocha kale hot smoothie
- Rainbow smoothies – The kids love a good gimmick, but hey if it works!
- Spiced smoothies – using warming ingredients such as ginger or cinnamon
Today I’m modifying the good old kale smoothie with a bit of a retro twist – the Skinny Mint Choc Chip Smoothie.
The base of the smoothie is the classic kale/avocado/banana/milk blend. We then add in a little peppermint extract and top the smoothie with chocolate crumbs. I also like to decorate the inside of the glass with stuck-on chocolate chips for a more playful feel. The smoothie itself won’t taste very chocolatey – it you wanted to do that I’d suggest stirring in some chocolate syrup, or even chocolate protein powder. You won’t get the lovely bright green colour if you do that though!
A healthy breakfast with a bit of fun. Do you have an interesting smoothie to share with us? We’d love to hear – tweet us @diyscom
Here’s what you’ll need for the mint smoothie recipe:
Makes 2 smoothies
- 1 avocado
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips
- 1 cup milk (regular milk, or coconut/almond milk work well)
- 3 drops peppermint extract
- 2 packed cups of kale
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 tbsp dark chocolate shavings
* You can also add 1-2 tbsp of honey if you like your smoothies on the sweeter side
Step by step preparation:
- Slice the avocado in half, remove the stone and scoop out the flesh using a spoon.
- Prepare the glasses next. Warm a plate and place a chocolate chip on it flat-side-down to melt slightly. Now place the chocolate chip on the inside of the glass using your fingers or a pair of tweezers. Repeat with the remaining chocolate chips (note: you could also melt some chocolate and dip the chocolate chips into the melted chocolate to stick them onto the glass if you prefer).
- Place all of the remaining ingredients except the chocolate shavings into a blender.
- Whizz until smooth.
- Pour into the two prepared glasses.