A healthy green smoothie – made more inviting by the addition of peppermint and chocolate chips.Personally I drink a lot of green smoothies. I like experimenting with ingredients as I find regular green smoothies can get a little boring.
A few of my favorite variations include:
- Hot smoothies – My specialities being an oaty hot chocolate smoothie and a mocha kale hot smoothie
- Rainbow smoothies – The kids love a good gimmick, but hey if it works!
- Spiced smoothies – using warming ingredients such as ginger or cinnamon
Today I’m modifying the good old kale smoothie with a bit of a retro twist – the Skinny Mint Choc Chip Smoothie.
The base of the smoothie is the classic kale/avocado/banana/milk blend. We then add in a little peppermint extract and top the smoothie with chocolate crumbs. I also like to decorate the inside of the glass with stuck-on chocolate chips for a more playful feel. The smoothie itself won’t taste very chocolatey – it you wanted to do that I’d suggest stirring in some chocolate syrup, or even chocolate protein powder. You won’t get the lovely bright green colour if you do that though!
A healthy breakfast with a bit of fun. Do you have an interesting smoothie to share with us? We’d love to hear – tweet us @diyscom
Here’s what you’ll need:
Makes 2 smoothies
- 1 avocado
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips
- 1 cup milk (regular milk, or coconut/almond milk work well)
- 3 drops peppermint extract
- 2 packed cups of kale
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 tbsp dark chocolate shavings
* You can also add 1-2 tbsp of honey if you like your smoothies on the sweeter side
1. Slice the avocado in half, remove the stone and scoop out the flesh using a spoon.
2. Prepare the glasses next. Warm a plate and place a chocolate chip on it flat-side-down to melt slightly. Now place the chocolate chip on the inside of the glass using your fingers or a pair of tweezers. Repeat with the remaining chocolate chips (note: you could also melt some chocolate and dip the chocolate chips into the melted chocolate to stick them onto the glass if you prefer).
3. Place all of the remaining ingredients except the chocolate shavings into a blender.
4. Whizz until smooth.
5. Pour into the two prepared glasses.