A delicious vegetarian dinner that the whole family will love.A meat-free-Monday classic, this mushroom ragu recipe with rigatoni pasta is hearty and delicious. Perfect for a cold evening.
Even better, everything is cooked in one pan! Just add it all in as you go. The pasta absorbs all of the flavors as it cooks, leaving you with a rich, thick sauce.
My kids are big fans of good old spag bol, and they tell me they hate mushrooms – but this meal goes down a treat with both of them.
Admittedly, they may push the sliced mushrooms to one side, but the finely chopped mushrooms totally fool them, and they eat every bite.
Try it for your next meat-free dinner. We’d love to know if you managed to fool anyone too!
Here’s what you’ll need for the mushroom ragu recipe:
- 1 pound mixed mushrooms (I used chestnut and mini portabella)
- 1 onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 stick celery
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- ¼ cup red wine
- 1 + ½ cups hot vegetable stock
- 2 x 14oz cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 8oz rigatoni pasta
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan
- Small bunch fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Small bunch of fresh thyme (optional – for garnish)
How to prepare the mushroom ragu vegetarian dish:
- Chop half the mushrooms into very small pieces, cut the other half into slices. Peel and chop the onion, deseed and chop the red pepper and chop the celery into small slices.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large skillet. Add the onions and celery and fry on a medium heat for 5 minutes until softened. Add the red pepper and garlic and cook for a further two minutes. Add in the sliced mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Add the finely chopped mushrooms, cook for 1 minute before adding in the red wine. Allow to bubble for 2 minutes, then add in the canned tomatoes, dried herbs, tomato puree, salt and pepper and stock.
- Bring to the boil, then stir in the dry pasta. Place a lid or some foil on the pan, turn down the heat to low and allow to simmer for 12-14 minutes – until the rigatoni is cooked through.
- Take the lid off and give everything a stir before dishing up!
Serve topped with shredded parmesan, parsley and fresh thyme if you like.