Sweet and refreshing peach and thyme iced tea – the perfect drink to cool you down on a hot day! How to make iced tea drink? Chilled tea infused with fresh thyme,all muddled together with pureed poached peaches. Serve it over lots of ice for a deliciously cool drink!
I find this is a great non-alcoholic alternative to the fruity wine coolers that are so popular at garden parties right now.
My kids love to walk around with a plastic wine glass of this, regularly dipping their hands straight into their drink to pull out a piece of peach. No matter how many times I tell them not to stick their hands in their drinks, they can’t seem to help it. The lure of those floating peach slices is just too much!
I like to make this one with regular tea, but if you want a lighter colored/flavored tea, then green/white or jasmine tea also works really well.
Save a good handful of fresh thyme to decorate the jug. The green of the thyme looks so pretty – almost like a mini flower arrangement.
Here’s what ingredients you’ll need for iced tea:
Makes approx 3 pints
- 4 ripe peaches
- 1 cup cold water
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tea bags
- 6 cups just boiled water
- Small bunch fresh thyme
- Ice, extra thyme and peach slices for serving
Step by step instruction to prepare a cold tea:
- Chop the peaches into chunks and place in a pan with 1 cup of water and the sugar. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat, and allow to cool to room temperature, then blend using a stick blender.
- Meanwhile place the teabags in a large bowl or jug. Add the thyme and the just boiled water. Allow to steep for 5 minutes, then remove the tea bags and discard. Leave to cool.
- Fill a large jug with ice. Pour the pureed peaches into the bowl with the tea (you can strain it if you prefer to have no bits) and stir, then pour this mixture into the jug.
- Top the jug with fresh thyme and peach slices before serving.