A simple, delicious soup with all the taste of lasagna – but using only one pot! The best Lasagna soup recipe ever!! Everything is cooked in one pan – adding in the ingredients as you go until you end up with a delicious cheesy noodle soup that even has some sneaky vegetables hidden in there!
Delicious Lasagna Soup Recipe
In addition to the regular canned tomatoes and onions you generally find in lasagna, this soup also boasts red bell peppers, mushrooms, and spinach.
The kids will get through a bowl of this in no time before demanding more (at least if they’re anything like my kids anyway!).
You can use pasta shapes – such as rigatoni or penne for this soup, but I think it feels more ‘lasagna-like’ when you use dried lasagna sheets. Simply take the lasagna sheets, score each slightly with a sharp knife, and break each sheet into 8 pieces.
Of course there’s no bechamel/white sauce in this soup – that would involve dirtying another pan!
The addition of a little heavy cream is used in place of it for a hint of that creamy flavor.
Serve topped with chives and black pepper – as well as shredded cheese, for a hearty and easy dinner that everyone will love!
Here’s what you’ll need for the lasagna soup recipe:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 brown onions, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, deseeded and diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 10 small white mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup red wine (optional)
- 4 cups beef or vegetable stock
- 2 x 14 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsps tomato paste/puree
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 8 dried lasagna sheets, broken into approx. 2 inch squares
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 packed cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup shredded strong cheddar cheese
- ½ cup shredded parmesan
- Small bunch chives, chopped
Directions to prepare one-pot Lasagna soup:
- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven/casserole dish. Add the onions and cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes until softened. Add in the bell pepper and garlic and cook for a further minute, then add in the ground beef and cook until browned – breaking up any large pieces as you go.
- Add the mushrooms, stir, then add in the red wine and allow to bubble for 3-4 minutes. Add the stock, canned tomatoes, tomato puree, sugar, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper. Stir and bring to the boil. Add half the lasagne sheets, stir, then add in the other half. Try to separate the lasagne sheets a little in the pan so they don’t stick together. Simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes until the lasagne sheets are cooked..
- Stir through the cream, then turn off the heat. Stir through the spinach, then sprinkle on the cheddar, parmesan and chives before serving..
Note: Any leftover soup can be cooled, covered and refrigerated or frozen. The pasta will absorb more of the liquid if not eaten straight-away, so you may need to add a splash of water before thoroughly reheating in a pan or microwave.