Grilled Veggie Fajita Bowls are a quick and easy weeknight meal that the whole family will love! This recipe is packed with vegetables and satisfying whole grains for a nutritious dinner.
This delicious bowl meal comes with an added bonus that creates tons of flavor: an easy homemade fajita seasoning.
The homemade fajita seasoning is what makes these Grilled Veggie Fajita Bowls so tasty. Not only are you avoiding preservatives that are found in most spice mixes, you can adjust the seasoning blend to suite your taste. Like more of a kick? Amp up the spice. More of a mild spice? Omit the spicy ingredients completely.
In order to infuse the veggies with as much fajita flavor as possible, we take the spice mix and make it into a wet rub. This rub will coat every nook and cranny of the vegetables and add in tons of flavor.
Coated in our fajita seasoning, we have some vegetables that add in a big nutritional punch.
Mushrooms are a great addition to fajitas, and also great for regulating so many of our body systems. Mushrooms can reduce inflammation, help us maintain a healthy weight, and prevent cancer. They also boost our immune system, which keeps us from falling prey to a cold or the flu.
Did you know that a serving of bell peppers has more vitamin C than an orange? And this vitamin is essential for good health. It is important for our brain and nervous system health. It also supports collagen production which keeps our skin from premature aging.
When the summer heat hits, I love to move cooking outside. It keeps the house from heating up, and works as an excuse to spend some more time outdoors. Plus, the high heat from the grill does a lot to add flavor to our veggies.
The places where the vegetables get charred, brings out their sweetness and flavor. It also means that the veggies go straight onto the grill and not into a pan, aka one less dish to wash after the meal.
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 4 Portobello mushrooms
- 3 bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
1. Slice the bell peppers into large strips, removing the ribs and seeds.
2. Cut off the stems of the Portobello mushrooms and make shallow cross slices in the mushroom caps. This helps the mushrooms release their moisture when cooking.
3. In a bowl, whisk together the chili powder, cumin, coconut sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, smoked paprika, and salt.
4. Drizzle in the avocado oil and whisk to combine.
5. Rub the spice paste onto the mushroom caps.
6. Then repeat with the bell peppers.
7. Using a grill pan or a barbecue, grill the mushrooms and bell peppers until cooked through. Remove from the grill and slice into strips.
8. To plate, ladle some rice into a bowl. Top with grilled veggies and salsa, if desired.
These Grilled Veggie Fajita Bowls make a quick weeknight meal with even quicker cleanup. The flavors of the fajita seasoning are sure to please the whole family and you can rest assured that you are serving a nutritionally sound meal.alsa, if desired.
These Grilled Veggie Fajita Bowls make a quick weeknight meal with even quicker cleanup. The flavors of the fajita seasoning are sure to please the whole family and you can rest assured that you are serving a nutritionally sound meal.