Simple Butternut Squash Soup Recipe is jazzed up with curry powder and coconut milk to make a creamy and flavorful curry style soup. Bring. It. On.
This here is one of those recipes that I have on repeat as soon as the weather cools down. It is warm and comforting, but still light thanks to the coconut milk swapped for more traditional cream. The coconut milk compliments the curry flavors like two peas in a pod, and lends a dreamy texture without using any dairy.
When making this soup, I highly recommend making extra and storing it in your freezer for an instant meal. Schedule too tight to make a home cooked dinner on Wednesday? Grab a jar out of the freezer and pretend you made it from scratch. Heading out the door and realized that you forgot to pack lunch? Throw a jar in your bag and the work is done. This soup freezes and reheats exceptionally well.
There are a few things you need to know before making this soup:
Tip #1: Freshen up.
Curry spice that has been sitting in the back of your cupboard for a year has nothing on fresh stuff. Since curry is the only spice we are using to flavor this soup, we need it to be fresh. If your spice is older than 6 months, I recommend restocking at the grocery store. A standard Indian style curry powder will work well in this dish and can be found at just about any grocery store in the spice isle.
Tip #2: Chill out.
After your soup has simmered away, let it sit off the heat for a few minutes before attempting to blend. This is for your safety. I learned first hand that splatters of scalding hot soup headed straight for your arms while you are trying to get soup into a blender is no bueno. The same goes for an immersion blender. You don’t have to transfer the soup to the blender container if you are using one, but blending right in the pot is a splatter risk of its own. Let the soup chill on the counter for 10 minutes, and you are good to blend. You might still have a few splatters, but no splatter burns.
Ingredients for Butternut Squash Soup Recipe:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 2 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 6 cups chopped butternut squash
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
Directions to prepare the best Butternut Squash Soup:
- Heat the oil over medium in a large Dutch oven or soup pot. Add in the onion, celery, carrots, and salt. Sautee until softened, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add in the butternut squash, garlic, ginger, and curry powder. Sautee until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add in 4 cups of water and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly. Puree using an immersion or regular blender. Stir in the coconut milk, and return to the heat to warm through. Serve with an extra drizzle of coconut milk and pumpkin seeds, if desired.