Chicken, Bacon and Tomato Mac N’ Cheese – a comforting dinner with lots of flavor! Living in the UK, I’m glad we’re FINALLY starting to catch-up on some of the amazing and popular American recipes. Brisket, pulled pork, pancake stacks, monkey bread, pot pie – I love that we’re starting to see them on restaurant menus more and more!
Mac N’ Cheese is another one of those recipes that I have to order any time I see it!
Although I’ve been making Mac N’ Cheese at home for a long time, I’ve had to use straight macaroni until recently. They’ve finally started selling elbow macaroni in shops in the UK yay!
This of course means I’ve been making even more of it, and I’ve been experimenting with different flavors.
This one-pot chicken, bacon and tomato Mac N’ Cheese is my favorite so far. So easy to prepare, and the leftovers never seem to last until the next day!
Creamy-cheesy tomato macaroni with tender chicken, piles of bacon and a delicious crispy panko-and-cheese topping. Make plenty – it doesn’t last long!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 chicken breasts, chopped into bite size chunks
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 4 small (or 3 medium) cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 x 14oz can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 4 cups hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 10 ½ oz elbow macaroni
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cup cooked, chopped bacon
- 3 tbsp panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped parsley to serve (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet and add the onion. Cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes, until the onion starts to soften. Add the chicken, then cook for 5 – 6 minutes until the chicken is sealed. Add the salt, pepper, garlic and tomato paste. Stir everything together so that the tomato paste coats the chicken. Add in the canned tomatoes, sugar and stock. Stir and bring to the boil, then add in the macaroni. Stir together, bring back to a gentle simmer and place a lid on. Simmer for 13-15 minutes, checking and stirring a couple of times during cooking, until the macaroni is cooked.
2. Once the macaroni is cooked, stir in the cream and sprinkle on half of each of the cheeses, followed by all of the bacon. Stir together. Mix the remaining cheese with the panko and sprinkle on top. Place under the broiler for 5-6 minutes until golden brown.
3. Sprinkle on the chopped parsley and serve!
The best comfort food!