What artificial grass has over natural or real turf is low maintenance. If you’re tired of mowing your lawn and keeping the grass green on this side of the fence, then getting fake grass might be exactly what you need. No more watering, feeding, mowing or worrying about the grass changing color.
As the proud owner of a home with a lawn, you know firsthand how difficult it is to keep your lawn looking its best all year round. The grass turns yellow for all kinds of reasons and it takes time and hard work to get it back to its former lush green glory. But with synthetic grass, all of these problems simply disappear. And you’re left with green grass that withstands the elements as well as the ravages of precocious pets.
We put 8 of the top artificial grass products in the market to the test. We liked some and didn’t like others. Here’s our verdict on these best artificial grass reviews.
Best Artificial Grass Reviews
We always reserve the top spot for the very best artificial grass. And in this case, SunVilla Realistic Indoor/Outdoor Artificial Grass checks all the boxes when it comes to quality and versatility. Made from durable and aesthetically appealing polyethylene fabric, it has a latex backing to make it sturdy and long-lasting.
The tiles of the fake grass come in different sizes which helps you fill up your yard without wasting money on excess material. The tile measurements range from 1-foot x 13 feet to 5 feet x 10 feet with many sizes in between. Since not all years have regular shapes, you can order tiles of different sizes to fit into your space.
Another advantage to the SunVilla grass is that it doesn’t require infill. It’s made of durable materials and you won’t have to add the infill to protect the blades against heavy foot traffic. And since the yarns are UV resistant, the blades of the grass will not lose their color or smooth texture with time.
It’s also safe for pets and children and made from toxic-free materials. The drainage holes in the latex backing prevent rainfall and dog pee from pooling at the bottom of the mat. And since it works both indoors and outdoors, you will have many uses for any extra tiles that remain after carpeting the lawn with the grass.
On the downside, the rolls of fake grass arrive with a strong plastic odor. It would take a few days for the smell to go away completely.
- Made from durable polyethylene fabric.
- Has latex backing to make it sturdy.
- No need for infill materials.
- Comes in different sizes.
- Both for outdoor and indoor use.
- UV ray resistant.
- Safe for kids and pets.
- The rolls of grass arrive with a strong plastic odor that takes days to wear off and disappear completely.
Resilience and durability are the two main features that make LITA Premium Artificial Grass stand out from the rest of the pack. That and the fact that it’s more cost-effective than other products on this list. So you really have a good incentive to settle on Lita or at least shortlist.
We also liked the quality of the material. The blades of grass are made from durable polyethylene. Besides durability and resistance to wear and tear, it also gives the mat a natural look that is as close to real grass as it can get.
The mats which come in different sizes for more convenience, weigh 70 ounces per square yard. That reflects the density and pile height of the Lita and gives the grass a cushy feeling under your feet. This extra thickness also acts as a buffer to break the fall of children playing and falling to the ground.
We also liked the Lita because it is easy to install. You don’t need a lot of experience with DIY projects to roll the tile of grass and seal them with tape. As long as you get the measurements right, you won’t have a problem. And thanks to the different tile measurements, you will be able to cover the whole yard no matter who out of proportions it really is.
But we didn’t like that we had to buy infilling material separately because the mats don’t work without it. The long blades of the grass which measure 1.4 inches tall need infilling otherwise they will break easily under heavy foot traffic.
- Low price tag.
- Made of polyethylene.
- Resists wear and tear and is safe for kids.
- Blade height is 1.4 inches.
- Easy to install with no need for a professional contractor.
- Weighs 70 ounces per square yard.
- The fake grass requires infilling which you have to purchase separately.
Versatility is the name of the game for the WMG GRASS Premium Artificial Grass. It works well both indoors and outdoors. You can use it to cover the yard, a patio, the roof, the playground, around the swimming pool, or use it as ground cover in the garden.
Made from a combination of polyethylene and polypropylene yarn, it has the natural look and feel of real grass but without all the hard work you have to put into growing and maintaining turfgrass. And with an average weight of 70 ounces per square yard WMG not only cushions well but also has high resistance to UV light, the weather, and heavy foot traffic.
But the really good features of this artificial grass appear after you install it. One of those is how easy it is to get it cleaned up. There’s no need for extra scrubbing or using expensive shampoo. You only need water and a good broom to hose off any dirt on the grass blades. And the drainage holes ensure that the excess water makes its way to the ground below. This prevents stagnating water pooling at the bottom and becoming a breeding ground for bacteria and pathogens. In the same way, it drains dog pee easily and keeps the grass odor-free.
But for its steep price, some tufts of the fake grass tend to come off near the edges of the tiles. Although the edges of the lawn don’t get much foot traffic, this is still an issue that impacts the look of the whole landscape.
- Works well for roofs, yards, gardens, and patios.
- 70 ounces per square yard.
- Made from a combination of polyethylene and polypropylene yarn.
- Resists weather, UV light, and heavy foot traffic.
- Easy to clean with no extra materials.
- High price tag.
- Tufts of grass come off around the edges after a few days.
Many artificial grass mats are designed specifically for the outdoors. They have high resistance to foot traffic, the hot sun, and frost, and they can drain rainfall and dog pee. But most of them are only limited to outdoor use. Not PET GROW Premium Artificial Grass though. It works on a balcony, patio, backyard, and deck as well as works as a mat, a doormat, or a carpet for indoor use.
This artificial grass from Pet Grow is made from polyethylene and polypropylene fabric. While polyethylene gives the blades of grass the refined and natural look you’d want on your lawn, polypropylene gives it more durability. It’s a sturdy material that resists wear and tear and makes the tiles resistant to snow and UV light.
Suitability and convenience come in the shape of different tile sizes to make it ideal for many indoor and outdoor uses. Starting from 4 feet by 15, the rectangular tiles go all the way up to 6 feet by 20. And if the tile is too long, say to use as a doormat, you can simply cut it and keep the extra material to use later.
The only problem we had with this Pet Grow mat was when trying to install it. It’s not the easiest mat to install. And lack of instructions makes it even more difficult to get the grass on the lawn looking neat and professional. The drainage holes at the bottom of the backing fabric are too small as well. They don’t drain water and dog pee that well which leaves an odor on the grass.
- Use it indoors and outdoors.
- Easy to cut and customize the size.
- Comes in different measurements.
- Made from polyethylene and polypropylene fabric.
- No installation instructions included.
- Drainage holes are too few and small.
The idea behind LULIND Artificial Grass Square Tiles is that you need to have more control over the final look and feel of the artificial grass you use. And the way to get that control is to have smaller tiles of fake grass to deal with. In this case, Lulind comes in 12.2 x 12.2-inch square tiles. This is almost similar in dimensions to bathroom tiles.
And since the tiles come in 4 shades of green, you can practically paint the floor or ground green without making it look drab. You could use one shade of green on the patio, another shade on the walkway, and apply darker green tiles on the indoors. It works well both for home decor as well as the roof, the garden, or an elaborate dollhouse.
The tiles are moderately thick and measure 1.75 inches in thickness. That makes them safe for children to play without the risk of injuries. The drainage holes in the tiles allow liquids to pass through, preventing odors or bacterial growth. That translates into easy cleaning as well since the synthetic material repels dirt and dust as well.
Speaking of safety, the Lulind tiles are made of non-toxic materials so even if your dog chews on them (and it probably will) they won’t have any health complications. But on the downside, the grass doesn’t stay fluffed. With heavy foot traffic, it tends to become compressed quickly. We had to use a hose to get the grass to rise again and look like real grass.
- Small tiles measuring 12.2 x 12.2 inches.
- 4 different shades of green.
- Non-toxic and UV light-resistant.
- 1.75-inch tile thickness.
- The grass compresses easily under heavy foot traffic.
- Doesn’t stick to surfaces easily, so don’t place it on slippery floors.
Some fake grass looks almost real and other artificial grass has more practical purposes. The GOLDEN MOON Artificial Grass for Dogs belongs to the latest category. It is mainly designed for people with dogs. Instead of having the dog dig up holes all over the yard or chew every piece of furniture you have, you can carpet the yard with this artificial grass and let the dog play to their heart’s content.
It’s also useful if you have a puppy you’d want to potty train. The grass has a natural look and feels and is easy to clean. Moreover, it is both UV rays and fire-resistant and poses no health risk to the dog. The tiles of grass come in 4 sizes starting from 3 x 5 feet to 6 x 8 feet. You can also cut any tile and use as much as you need.
But to say that this fake grass is just for dogs is rather limiting its scope. You can use it in any other setting or purpose where you’d want to have real turfgrass. The backing of the tiles is non-slip and works on all types of surfaces including the roof and tiled floors.
On the downside, this grass is not easy to clean. You can’t just hose any dirt or mess off the blades. You’ll need to scrub it really hard to get it cleaned up. The blades of the grass tend to get hot quickly under the sun. So don’t let pets or children play on the grass when it’s hot outside.
- Suitable for dogs and untrained puppies.
- Fire and UV rays resistant.
- Comes in 4 sizes for convenience.
- Non-slip backing so you can place it on tiled floors.
- Not easy to clean and needs a lot of scrubbing.
- It gets hot quickly under the sun.
Shaddock took the concept of artificial grass and expanded on it to create fake grass that can serve just about anywhere you want. The Shaddock Artificial Grass Turf Lawn – Fake Grass Mat works just as well on entertainment venues as on pet areas, kid’s playgrounds, and even indoor decorations. With 1.38-inch pile height, it offers a decent buffer that keeps children and pets safe while playing.
The backing of the mats is made of rubber which serves as a non-slip material while also making it easy to maintain. Whether you place the mat on the doorstep, inside a room, or out on the patio, it will have good traction with the surface beneath it and prevent slipping. At the same time, you can lift the mat easily and clean under it.
The drainage holes prevent liquids from pooling at the bottom of the grass and becoming Petri dishes. Whether it’s dog pee, rainwater, or any liquid you spill on the grass, it will find its way to the ground leaving the mat looking and smelling clean.
Made of high-density polyethylene, the grass looks and feels almost like real grass. With 71 ounces weight per square yard, the grass is both durable and sturdy. It also resists fire and UV light so it won’t fade or degrade quickly.
One drawback we had with this fake grass was the awful smell. Out of the box, the mats have a strong plastic smell that persists for weeks. So if you’re going to use the mats indoors, better leave them out under the sun first until the smell goes away then you can bring them inside.
- 71 ounces per square yard.
- Pile height is 1.38 inches.
- Works in all settings both indoors and outdoors.
- Double rubber backing for easy maintenance.
- Easy to install and clean.
- Has a persisting odor out of the box that stays for days.
We wrap up this list of the best artificial grass reviews with Goasis Realistic Thick Artificial Grass Turf. With this synthetic grass, you have a versatile material that works in different settings and landscapes. But what we really liked about the Goasis was the different sizes of the mats. They start from 20 inches x 24 inches and end up with mats as big as 4 feet x 13 feet.
What this means is that no more cutting or wasting material as you try to cover a small patch in the garden or lawn with synthetic grass. The tiles have a decent pile height averaging 1.38 inches and the weight is 70 ounces per square yard.
Made from yarn that combines both polyethylene and polypropylene, the synthetic grass has both durability and resistance to the erosion of the elements. It can handle everything from hot sun to heavy rainfall and even snow.
The tiles are easy to install and give a uniform color and even look once done. You just have to lay the mats in the same direction so that the grass looks natural.
With that in mind, the thick grass gets flat easily even the first time you take it out of the box. This happens also if you walk on the grass under the sun. So you’ll need to ruffle it with a powerful stream of water. As for the plastic smell, it tends to go away quickly.
- Comes in different tile sizes for convenience.
- 1.38-inch pile height.
- Made from polyethylene and polypropylene yarn.
- Uniform color and look of the tiles.
- The blades of the grass flatten easily under the hot sun.
- Faint plastic odor on the new mats.
Artificial Grass Buying Guide
So what exactly would you want to look for when buying artificial grass? And most importantly, do you actually need it? These questions and more are the subject of this buying guide.
Why do you Need Artificial Grass?
Before you click the Buy button on the Amazon page, you need to ask yourself if you really need artificial grass. Like everything else lawn-related, fake turf is not the answer to every problem you have. However, you can safely replace your lawn turfgrass with artificial grass if you have one or more of these problems.
- Weeds and crabgrass take over your lawn every spring and kill your turfgrass.
- You have heavy foot traffic and hyperactive pets that kill the grass.
- The grass turns yellow quickly due to poor soil, chemical contamination, or for no apparent reason.
- Mowing the lawn is a weekly chore that takes hours of hard work and sweating.
- The grass in the lawn dies every year and you need to reseed barren patches continuously.
- Lawn care services cost you an arm and a leg just to keep the lawn in a decent state.
- You don’t have time to actually use the lawn because you spend all of your spare time working on the lawn.
- The lawn looks patchy at best and you can’t give it that even and uniform look no matter how much money you spend on fertilizers, pesticides, sprinklers, and expensive seeds.
- Your dog pees on the grass all the time which kills it.
- Your dog digs up holes all over the lawn.
Artificial Grass Types
Fake isn’t always a bad word. Fake fur, for example, is a more humane sartorial alternative to the real thing. The same applies to artificial grass. Although fake grass will not have the same feel as the real turf, some types come closer than others. In general, fake grass comes in three types.
- Nylon: If you’re looking for fake grass that looks like the real thing, then nylon is a good choice. It has a soft texture and comes in different shades of green giving you many color options. The only drawback is that it doesn’t handle heavy foot traffic very well. It wears off rather quickly.
- Polypropylene: If looks don’t matter much to you and you just want a green cover to your lawn that will handle children playing and pets frolicking, then choose polypropylene grass. It has more durability than nylon although it doesn’t match it in looks.
- Polyethylene: With polyethylene grass, you get the best of both worlds. You get the beauty of nylon and the durability of polypropylene. It handles foot traffic and the damage of pets and children very well. It doesn’t require replacing every few months, and it doesn’t absorb odors or chemicals making it easier to clean and maintain.
Now that you know that artificial grass is the right turf cover for you, it’s time to narrow down your choices by focussing on the features that really matter. Here are the key features to look for when choosing fake grass for your yard.
- Density and Weight: Grass with higher density and weight offers a more natural look and better durability than thin fabric with fewer stitches. The density number refers to the number of stitches per 4 inches. The higher that number, the better.
- Pile Height: Much like a carpet, the taller the blades of the fake grass, the cushier it feels under your feet. This is measured in inches and a 3-inch pile means you have fake grass that can absorb falls, stays longer, and is easier to take care of. However, if you have less foot traffic, you can settle for a 1.5-inch pile. More pile height often translates into a steeper price per inch.
- UV Protection: Since it’s exposed to the merciless sun all year round, fake grass tends to fade and lose its soft texture. Make sure you get a mat with UV protection that keeps its colors as long as you keep it on the lawn.
- Size: One advantage to having fake grass over real turfgrass is that you can install fake grass in different sizes. So measure your lawn in advance and order the number of tiles or strips that fit into your lawn.
- Drainage: Under the open skies, the fake grass is subject to rainfall and water seeping from a leaking faucet. Make sure the mats have plenty of drainage holes to prevent waterlogging. Also if your dog pees on the fake grass, you won’t have to clean after it every time.
- Foot Traffic: How much foot traffic the grass will have to handle will determine which type of grass to get and its density. If you tend to have many get-togethers and cookouts in your yard, then you’ll need a more durable grass that doesn’t wear off quickly.
When not to use artificial grass?
If your summer months are really hot, you might have to use turfgrass instead of fake grass. Artificial grass tends to absorb the heat of the sun and store it. It is estimated that lawns covered with fake turf are about 10 degrees F hotter than those with real grass. This can really affect your evenings and make it less pleasant to enjoy your yard after a long and hot day.
The fake look of the grass is not easy to miss. Once you step on the grass it becomes obvious that you’re walking on a plastic mat not real blades of grass. So it’s a disadvantage that you can’t get away from.
Is artificial grass pet-friendly?
That’s one of the main advantages of artificial grass. Your pets can run, scratch, and even pee on the fake grass to their heart content. Unlike real grass, fake grass doesn’t wear off easily due to heavy foot traffic. As for pets peeing on it, the drainage holes in the mats make it easier for the liquid to make its way into the ground beneath the mats.
So no more cleaning after the dogs or having to worry about the grass dying when the dog pees on it. Artificial grass requires less work and maintenance than the real thing.
How long does it last?
All things considered, artificial grass lasts longer than real grass. It handles heavy foot traffic, peeing pets, and the onslaught of the sun, frost, and other adverse weather conditions. It also needs no mowing, fertilizing, or watering. Fake grass is not prone to pests and will not allow weeds to grow all over the place.
That said, the thickness and density of the fake grass will determine how long it lasts. Also if you’re using nylon fake grass, you will need to replace it more often than if you use polyethylene or polypropylene types.
The Last Word
Even though we had set strict criteria to judge the artificial grass, some products surpassed our expectations and delivered both in terms of looks and functionality. One of those was SunVilla Realistic Indoor/Outdoor Artificial Grass which won our Editor’s Choice award easily. Made from durable polyethylene yarn, it has high resistance to UV rays, rainfall, and the degradation of time and heavy foot traffic. The latex backing makes it sturdy and drains liquids quickly through the drainage hole.
And if you’re on a budget and don’t want to spend too much to have your yard covered with synthetic grass, then LITA Premium Artificial Grass is the right choice for you. It gives you a bang for your buck and offers good quality fake grass. It’s also made of polyethylene to resist the wear and tear of time and rough use. With pile height averaging 1.4 inches, it offers a nice cushion for kids to play and fall on it safely.
We also liked WMG GRASS Premium Artificial Grass which won our Premium Pick award for its versatile usage, easy installation, and low maintenance. The tiles of this synthetic grass will fit anywhere you place them. On the roof, the ground, the patio, the garden, or the floor of the balcony. You can also use them as doormats or on the kids’ playground. To clean the mat just point a garden hose at the grass and it will wash away all the dirt and dust in no time.