This bright and juicy avocado salad recipe is sure to kill those winter blues. Juicy bites of citrus, buttery avocado slices and herby fennel make this salad a cornucopia of flavors and textures. This is one of those dishes that always comes in clutch. It is bright and flavorful, impressively beautiful, and unique. It looks complicated and gourmet but is actually really easy to make.
All of those gorgeous fruits and vegetables simply get chopped up, using a few new techniques, and layered into a dish, so that all the bright colors are visible. Next they get drizzled with a vinaigrette that is full of fresh mint, scallions, and earthy olive oil – the perfect compliment to the bright flavors in the salad.
Plus, it celebrates the best of winer produce! Right now, citrus season is in full swing, and there is no better time to enjoy these juicy gems. When produce is in season, it actually contains more nutrients. That means we can get even more immune boosting vitamin C from the oranges, and an extra dose of vision supporting vitamin A.
There are a few tips to make the perfect citrus salad.
Tip #1: Seasons greetings.
This recipe has few ingredients and hinges on one thing, in-season citrus fruit. When citrus is in season, it is the brightest, juiciest, most flavorful fruit on the block. When it’s not in season, it can be sour, dry, and bitter. If it is not currently citrus season (winter) where you live, I recommend waiting until it is, to enjoy this salad. It will make all the difference. If it is winter… you will have one amazing salad on your hands.
Tip#2: Practice makes perfect.
The first time you peel and segment citrus fruit, it probably won’t be pretty or fast. But keep at it. This technique allows you to enjoy all the flavor of citrus fruit without chewing on the harder membrane and pith. The more you practice, the better your cuts will look, and the quicker you will be able to throw this salad together.
Ingredients for avocado salad recipe:
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced scallions
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
For the salad:
- 1 grapefruit
- 2 oranges
- 3 mandarin oranges
- 1 fennel bulb, shaved thinly
- 2 avocados, sliced
Directions to make a delicious avocado salad:
- Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients. Set aside.
- For the oranges, cut off the top and the bottom of the fruit. Set the fruit flat side down, and using a knife, slice off the peel, following the curve of the orange.
- Continue around the fruit, until the peel is removed. Trim off any leftover peel at the base of the orange. Slice the fruit into round circles. Repeat this process with the mandarin oranges. Set aside.
- For the grapefruit, slice off the top and bottom.
- Set the fruit flat side down, and using a knife, slice off the peel, following the curve of the grapefruit.
- Continue around the fruit, until the peel is removed. Trim off any leftover peel at the base of the grapefruit.
- Holding the peeled grapefruit in your hand, cut in between the membranes to separate out segments. Continue until all the segments are removed. Set aside.
- Take the leftover center of the fruit, and squeeze any remaining juice into the dressing. Whisk to combine.
- Toss together the salad ingredients, drizzle over the dressing, and serve.