Look who’s back, have you missed them? 90s inspired fashion is all over Pinterest lately and expanding to all sorts of industries and materials: for instance, have you noticed the return of holographic and silver objects in home decor? And neck tied tops? Not to talk about the return of chokers and backpacks. All over us. So, it’s time to get out all your Spice Girls albums ladies, we know you’re secretly hiding them under the bed.
And do you know what summer + the return of the 90s means to us crafters? We can make our own unique halter crop tops and wear them all season with our fave buttom ups or, like in my case, with the most dreamy full yard skirt and get a nice boho vibe that perfectly pairs with lace and summer. Enough chatting, let’s get to the tutorial immediately!
- lace cloth
- matching thread
- leather thread
- sewing machine (optional)
1. Start by cutting a triangle shape like shown in the picture, and measure it on your body to decide the height of the top. This will be the front side of the top. Cut off the points so that it will be easier to sew the front and the back.
2. Now cut a rectangle shape that will be the back of the top, measure it on your own body too see how much cloth you need, and cut.
3. Next put the two parts together , with the right sides facing each other and pin the sides like show in the picture. If you have extra lace on the back it’s ok, keep it, because this lace isn’t elastic thus we need plenty of space to wear it and get both of our shoulders in it. Very carefully reverse the top and wear it to see if everything looks good. Make any adjustment on size if needed.
4. You can either machine sew or hand sew the pinned area, in the first case use a medium tight stitch and if your sewing machine permits choice, opt for a slightly zig-zag stitch.
5. Finally, bend inwards the front top edge towards the throat so that it becomes a perfect loop for the thread. Sew it and make the thread go through.
Well done, 90s are back in all their glorious style!