Today we are making those fancy pants nut and seed crackers that you see in the store. Yes, you can do this! The base of these crackers is, as you can guess, nuts and seeds with some rolled oats. This creates a cracker that is nutty and incredibly nutritious. The flavor is packed in with tomato paste and fresh basil for an Italian flair. These gourmet crackers are great for a cheese tray, as a snack with hummus, or by the handful. Their flavor can stand on its it’s own.
Here are a few ways to ensure gourmet quality crackers:
Tip #1: Keep it fresh.
Fresh basil is more flavorful than week old basil, and way more than dried basil. Splurge for the fresh stuff in this recipe. Your taste buds will thank you.
Tip #2: Pack it in.
When you are spreading out the cracker dough on the sheet tray make it as thin and even as possible by packing the dough down with your palm. Pressing into the dough makes for a cracker that holds together and cooks evenly. If you are having trouble with the dough sticking to your hands, rub them with a little olive oil.
Tip #3: Watch the corners.
Once the corners begin to turn a deep brown, get those crackers outta the oven for optimal doneness. As hard as it might be, let the crackers cool completely before cutting and eating.
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/4 cup flax seed meal
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons minced basil
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Add the almonds into a food processor and pulse until the almond pieces are the size of peas. Add in the oats, flax seed meal, hemp seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, salt, and garlic powder. Pulse until combined and the mixture resembles small pebbles.
3. Add this mixture to a bowl and stir in the fresh basil.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients.
5. Add the tomato mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
6. Coat a baking sheet well with nonstick cooking spray and line the sheet with parchment paper. Press the cracker dough onto the cookie sheet, making sure it is thinner that 1/4 inch in all places. If the dough is sticking to your hands, rub them with some olive oil.
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the crackers are browned around the edges. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
8. Remove the crackers to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
9. Slice the crackers int 2×2 inch squares and serve.